Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ominous Looking Indeed - 250gr 8mm Barnes Original

Default Ominous Looking Indeed - 250gr 8mm Barnes Original

Man, this 250gr Barnes orginial in 8mm sure makes the Sierra 220gr SBT look anemic. :shock: Can't wait to work with this bullet, but that will be when the weather get just a little cooler. :mrgreen:

What a cool looking beast and if I can get around 2800fps (hopfully) WOW!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will say this when you get a new gun/caliber you sure get invovled with it. Just seemd like yesterday you were tripping all over the Nosler 48 in the 7mm-08. Brings tears to my eyes thinkign about it. Seems like it was not to long ago ruger 77 in that 358 was the cats meow. I have a plain jane old ruger mk11 ss in 338 mag does just fine with 225 and 250.

Whatever gun I am working with and if it shoots is the cats meow especially when I take it to the field and it performs as I expected. I just love guns and do like to know what they will shoot, how well they will shoot it and then it is hunting time. I have never owned a gun that I did not do load work for that I did not take to the field until I took game with it. I just love to do it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I will say this when you get a new gun/caliber you sure get invovled with it.
    And dat's duh point of loving guns and messing with them.

Hey BT- If you run short of the Barnes, Hawk doesn't have a 250 spire in .323 but they have it in what they call a RT. It's more of a semispitzer than RN. Manufacture is basically the same as the Barnes original. Good company to deal with in my experience.

Yes, I know, I have talked to them and they are making me some and I should have them in a month or so.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Ihear you right now I ahve a 700 in a 308 well my wifes I cna't get thathting to shoot handloads but it will shoot remignton 150 cor-lockts lights out. Has me scratching my head. I have tried RL-15, H-4895 different rimers etc. I was trying to shoot 165 though. I bought some 150 to try them out. I need to get a good load together for my wife and her upcoming caribou hunt. If all else fails will get her 7mm-08 dialed in with some 140 tsx that shoot well in it and go from there.

A 140gr Partition would do well as will the TSX.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    A 140gr Partition would do well as will the TSX.
    You shoudl see what TSX will do to a Bear. I do like the partitions, but they won't shoot out of my 338 so I use 250 grand slams, my 325 shoots 200 gr accubonds better than partitions. And the two 7-08 one for the wife and the other for my daughter they shoot 140 tsx.

I have never had the pleasure of messing with the big 8mm but always found it interesting so I am paying attention to Beartooths findings. What is the BC of that big Barnes Original Beartooth?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I will say this when you get a new gun/caliber you sure get invovled with it. Just seemd like yesterday you were tripping all over the Nosler 48 in the 7mm-08. Brings tears to my eyes thinkign about it. Seems like it was not to long ago ruger 77 in that 358 was the cats meow. I have a plain jane old ruger mk11 ss in 338 mag does just fine with 225 and 250.
    Yup Beartooth has been around the block with his guns! How many sets of dies have you owned Beartooth? I just unloaded a bunch and still have 30 sets. Birds of a feather flock together. Your in the right place with your gun going ons Tooth!

EKC, I don't know, I am researching that at the moment, would like to know. If anyone knows please tell us. thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yup Beartooth has been around the block with his guns! How many sets of dies have you owned Beartooth? I just unloaded a bunch and still have 30 sets. Birds of a feather flock together. Your in the right place with your gun going ons Tooth!
    Well, this makes the 31st cartridge and the 46th rifle (hunting rifles) I have done load work for and the only one of the 46 rifles I have not hunted with, but this fall will change that satistic.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am estimating that the BC might be some where between .470 and .500 BC, just a guess, any help appreciated.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Man, this 250gr Barnes orginial in 8mm sure makes the Sierra 220gr SBT look anemic. :shock: Can't wait to work with this bullet, but that will be when the weather get just a little cooler. :mrgreen:

What a cool looking beast and if I can get around 2800fps (hopfully) WOW!
    Hi Mike.......Got your PM, and glad the 250s got to you ok. I had intentionally bought the 250s as a thought for brownies. But after slamming down a few with the "big 8" I have pretty much resigned myself to the 200 grn. Partitions. But after looking at your pic, all I can say is.......what a difference 30 grains makes....!!!

Good luck with the rounds, and keep in touch...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am estimating that the BC might be some where between .470 and .500 BC, just a guess, any help appreciated.
    Can't find a reference for the Barnes, but Speer claims .431 for their 250 grain .338 Grand Slam. From there it kinda depends on where you want to do your interpolating.

Yea, I should have better BC with a .323 250gr than a .338 250gr bullet of similar shape but I am not going to get all wrapped up in trying to find what it is, because I have looked enough. It will be curious how this flat base shoots as apposed to the Boat tails I have been shooting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It will be curious how this flat base shoots as apposed to the Boat tails I have been shooting.
    Yeah. Trajectory-wise I have never seen enough improvement to even think about at hunting ranges inside 400 yards. Some of my guns decidedly prefer flat base for accuracy and some don't care about flat or boats. None of them seem to prefer boats, even if a boat here or there is the most accurate in that gun. The ones with a boat as most accurate in a particular weight are likely to prefer flats in another.

Just have to shoot and see. Aw shucks,more shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Just have to shoot and see. Aw shucks,more shooting.
    YEAH - shucks, more shooting
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Whoowee.... now that's a bullet for the Big 8 right there! If you can get it dialed in you'll have to find all of em you can.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Whoowee.... now that's a bullet for the Big 8 right there! If you can get it dialed in you'll have to find all of em you can.
    Yeah snyd, I would like anyone who runs across some to let me know, I really would like them. I have some 250gr Hawk RT's coming in about 3 to 4 weeks.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast