Thread: 'Other' Fishing Opportunities On The Kenai Peninsula?

Default 'Other' Fishing Opportunities On The Kenai Peninsula?

I am planning our annual trip to Kenai and am looking for suggestions on places to fish and things to see.

This year we are coming in late September and staying for about 15 days. We stay in a cabin on the middle Kenai river (Kenai Keys) where we have an 18' Stryker with 50 hp Yamaha. In years past we have just headed straight to the cabin and spent day after day out on the river. Since we have a 4X4 truck (and trailer for the boat) I am looking for suggestions on other fisheries we might want to try or sights we should take the time to see. I'm sure the area has a lot to offer that we haven't taken the time to discover. I'm wondering about things like clamming, beach fishing, trailering the boat to other local fisheries, ect. Any tips on fishing spots we should hit or sights we should take the time to see would be greatly appreciated!

Trailer to Seward. Should be lots of Silvers within 10 minute ride out of the Harbor. Maybe motorcar thru Anchor Point and visit the "Norman Lowell art studio "

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Trailer to Seward. Should be lots of Silvers within 10 minute ride out of the Harbor. Maybe motorcar thru Anchor Point and visit the "Norman Lowell art studio "
    We have been to the art studio you mentioned. Not my kind of thing but very impressive none the less. Beautiful work!

Are there silvers to be caught in the saltwater at the end of September down there? I figured they would all be gone up river to spawn somewhere by then?

What about a day trip to Seldovia? Not a lot there but some good food at the Tidepool Cafe. A little late for berrypicking but there may still be some around. Stop at the jam/jelly factory for a free berry picking permit to acess native lands.
    Or you could rent ATV's or side by sides and make the easy run to Red Mountain and enjoy the views along the way.

Halibut cove is nice again mostly for the views. A couple of nice art galleries and a restaraunt (reservations required and not recommended mostly because it is spendy). They even have a Kaladi brothers coffee shop. It is a short boat ride maybe 6 miles or so from Homer.
    I recommend the short hike to the Diane Tillion memorial and the incredible views of Homer from there.
    Also while traveling to/from swing around Gull Island a local seabird rookery for viewing of puffins and other seabirds, otters etc.

You could take a cruise up the Kasilof from slackwater to Tustumena for the beautiful views and some bear/wildlife viewing in the creeks around the lake.
    Use caution and follow the lakeshore in case of bad weather. Avoid running up the middle and wear your life jackets.
    Lots of local lakes loaded with RainbowTrout,Lake Trout,Kokanee, Arctic Char,etc.

Could be some good clamming you would be wise to check the tides for the good minus tides for the best clamming.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    I am planning our annual trip to Kenai and am looking for suggestions on places to fish and things to see.

This year we are coming in late September and staying for about 15 days. We stay in a cabin on the middle Kenai river (Kenai Keys) where we have an 18' Stryker with 50 hp Yamaha. In years past we have just headed straight to the cabin and spent day after day out on the river. Since we have a 4X4 truck (and trailer for the boat) I am looking for suggestions on other fisheries we might want to try or sights we should take the time to see. I'm sure the area has a lot to offer that we haven't taken the time to discover. I'm wondering about things like clamming, beach fishing, trailering the boat to other local fisheries, ect. Any tips on fishing spots we should hit or sights we should take the time to see would be greatly appreciated!
    Obviously, if you read any of my posts regarding winter kings, winter kings will be the thing I recommend. You can catch them within 3 to 10 miles from the Spit and there should be plenty around. Also there are still halibut around if you try hard enough.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Obviously, if you read any of my posts regarding winter kings, winter kings will be the thing I recommend. You can catch them within 3 to 10 miles from the Spit and there should be plenty around. Also there are still halibut around if you try hard enough.
    Thanks Capt., we're really looking forward to our trip with you, we may try to fish with you a couple times if the weather permits.

Any other popular or productive fisheries within a reasonable distance that we might not be aware of? Also, I'd love to do some clam digging but it doesn't look like the tides are going to cooperate with the only low tides between Sept. 27th and Oct. 10th falling at night. Any advice on clamming would be appreciated as well!