Thread: Duck Call Thoughts

Default Duck Call Thoughts

I just got a Bass Pro Shops gift card, and I'm thinking I'll use it to buy my first duck call. I'm not an experienced waterfowler, so I thought I'd ask around in here on some of your thoughts on what makes a good call. Are they breed specific? Which ones work well for our ducks? Which ones are easiest to learn on and use? Etc. Also, I'm looking at spending about $30. I see many calls for double, even triple, that. If my budget is too low for an effective call, and it may well be, I'd like to hear about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I just got a Bass Pro Shops gift card, and I'm thinking I'll use it to buy my first duck call. I'm not an experienced waterfowler, so I thought I'd ask around in here on some of your thoughts on what makes a good call. Are they breed specific? Which ones work well for our ducks? Which ones are easiest to learn on and use? Etc. Also, I'm looking at spending about $30. I see many calls for double, even triple, that. If my budget is too low for an effective call, and it may well be, I'd like to hear about that, too.
    I had basically the same question and a lot of people referred me to the Buck Gardner Double Nasty 2 its in your price range. As for actually using it I have no clue how well it is.

Haydel DR 85. Should be around $20. use the rest to pick up a teal whistle which can also be used for wigeon and mallards. But hay what do I know

Knight and hale bachlorette and a primos high roller is all the duck calls ull ever need...u can call any puddler with these two calls and some divers if u hold your mouth right...

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Haydel DR 85. Should be around $20. use the rest to pick up a teal whistle which can also be used for wigeon and mallards. But hay what do I know

^^^ What he said. You'll be hard pressed to find a better sounding duck call in your price range and this one is cheap enough that you can get a whistle, too.

why would I nee a whistle?

Whistles can make widgeon, teal, pintail, wood duck, and drake mallard calls. When the season gets underway and you got some jack wagon out there blaring away on his hen mallard call all morning, the birds start to get a little weary of them. That's when you pull out your whistle call, and throw in a few widgeon or drake mallard calls in the mix. Sometimes that's all it takes to get them to commit to your spread. If you know what species of duck is flying around your decoys, using that species specific call will often get them to come in as well.

I second the Haydel DR-85 and the Buck Gardner double nasty 2. I learned to call on my DR-85, and still use it to this day.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

x2 on the whistle and haydels. i have been hunting and using evry call I had with little results. Then I pulled out my whisle and it was just what they wanted to hear. Plus, whistles seem to be the easiest call to figure out IMO.

We must not be talking about a whistle, like one would use to call a dog in or make him sit.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    We must not be talking about a whistle, like one would use to call a dog in or make him sit.

Nope, it's a whistle specifically for duck hunting. There are several different kinds, but if you look for a 6-in-1 duck whistle, you should get a pretty good idea of what we're referencing.

A lot of the time I just use my mouth to meek widgeon and teal whistles

buck gardner, haydel, and duck commander all have one.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I second this advice. Probably the easiest call to learn how to use and makes a great sound if done correctly. but what do I know..lol

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.