Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship creek silvers advice

Default Ship creek silvers advice

My buddy and I will be flying in to ANC on the morning of the 23rd of August. The tide comes in at about 12:00 noon according to the charts I can find. Access seems to be easy but I am a noob (nube). We have never targeted silvers without a guide-him never. We are bringing spinning rods with 14 to 20lb line. We have a bunch of lures my guide told me to buy several years ago-pixies, etc.
    I have been watching videos on youtube trying to glean info. I got some great advice on a hole further up the road but thought we might stop by ship creek on the way outta town.
    Any body wanna go teach a couple tards how to catch Silvers on Ship creek? We intend to keep only 1 or two as we are hiking for a week. Anybody want to offer advice? Is there something I have forgotten?
    My name is nick.
    I have been on the site for years and have spoken to Mike personally.
    I have helped out on several occasions those who requested advice.
    I gladly accept honey-hole locations.
    I have probably been to Alaska 12 times or so.
    I smell good.
    (for those who would berate me for soliciting advice)

Thanks, Nick

If you are fishing the high tide, I would suggest throwing a 3-4 size Vibrax on the incoming and outgoing tides. On the high tide I would sink roe. This would apply to most of the areas. Although 14-20 line may be overkill since many of the Silvers I have seen this year have been well below 10 pounds...

a #6 blue vibrax will catch every fish in Alaska.....

Now that sounds like great advice!! I feel like you guys are practically placing the fillets in my cooler!! I figured heavier line in hopes that I don't break before my neighbor--bad guess?
    Vibrax....Check!! Where would I pick up some eggs?
    thanks again

You can get them at the Bait Shop located right on Ship. Good luck!

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

That's funny, three of those are my fish and I'm not even in the photo.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Were you guys fishing the high tide or fliping?
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    That's funny, three of those are my fish and I'm not even in the photo.

Slack/outgoing using bobber and eggs.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

If you are near a bridge or mud pit you will be glad of the extra line strength when a fish takes off in fast current. Just pull your snags to break at the lure tie-up; it sucks to have a heavy line dangling through an entire fishing hole because somebody decided to cut their snag at the reel. Of course you will encounter plenty of those left over from the king run.

WHATS the egg bobber set up look like? is it a triple hook 18" from the bobber with eggs on it?
    Semper Fi!

Oh Man!!! You guys are killin me!!! Limit in 20 minutes? We just want 1 each in an hour or so!!

was just there, had no luck, did see a small silver follow my vibrex (how ever you spell it) seen about 6 caught in a hour in a half where i was fishin
    Semper Fi!

Just got back myself, was a little slow - but I did manage to get one Silver on a pink Vibrax. They seem to be a little small this year. I have been hitting the high tide after work all week and haven't seen many over 5 pounds...

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    Just got back myself, was a little slow - but I did manage to get one Silver on a pink Vibrax. They seem to be a little small this year. I have been hitting the high tide after work all week and haven't seen many over 5 pounds...
    The Ship Creek fish are always smallish from my experience. Not sure why, but probably has to do with the brood stock. I don't know where they get that from. I'm also totally spoiled on silver size after spending the last 10 years or so specifically targeting the Valdez silvers, which tend to run big....

From my experience ship creek is a little challenging.....

definately need to fish with the tide, get there 3 hours before and be prepared to stay for a couple hours after.
    Eggs under a bobber setup is good. #4 Gamakatsu red hook tied with an egg loop, and a couple beads or small corky on a 15# mono leader, put a spilt shot about 4~5 inches above the hook to hold the eggs down. bobber about 3~4 feet above on the hook, get eggs from B&J's in achorage, you are looking for Nates bait, Black cherry... add a couple squirts of Ainse oil to the container and swirl around. you want just enough eggs to hide the hook.

you want to drift the eggs just ahead of the where the tide starts pooling up the creek.. the silvers will follow the tide in. you need to move up the creek with the tide and follow it out after. it takes practice to get that right. where the school of silvers sits during slackwater depends on how high the tide is. low 20's they sit between the railway bridge and the first car bridge, mid 20's they sit in around the foot bridge, high 20's they hang out above the overpass.

during slack water you may as well toss vibrax, eggs don't do much.

as the tide goes out follow the pool out with the tide.

in low tide all you can do is flip with a fly hoping to get one to bite... I've not had much success with that personally.

Oh and 23rd of Aug is getting pretty late in the season for Ship creek silvers.

I hope that by late, you mean that the locals will be tired out and we'll have a stream full of fish all to ourselves!!

I love the great information!! Thanks for the help folks, How about an easy cafe for breakfast, any ideas?

snow city cafe, rated best in anchorage
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    snow city cafe, rated best in anchorage
    I concur, you will definitely catch fish if you eat there first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast