Thread: Design of the Springfield XD .45

Default Design of the Springfield XD .45

A friend brought a Springfield XD .45 by yesterday that he had gotten wet in fresh water. The gun had acquired some very light rust and it was very hard to retract the slide and the magazine release was stuck and won't release the magazine.

By applying quite a bit of force to the magazine release I finally got the magazine out and was able to dias-assemble the gun. There was very light rust on the internal carbon steel parts but what was surprising to me was that the gun appeared to be totally devoid of any lubrication whatsoever- the metal parts looked like they had been dipped in a solvent to strip off all signs of lubrication. Apparently this lack of lubrication resulted in light rust on many surfaces.

Having considerable experience with 1911s over many decades I was disappointed at how little rust it took to put a XD out of service. I was able to apply oil and grease to some critical surfaces and get it working again but i can only imagine how little dirt or crud it would take to put the gun out of service again. The design of the magazine release for example was particually susceptiable; a 1911 would still function with much more crud and rust. (I remember a 1911 I bought for $20 yeas ago and it still worked fine; you can imagine what it looked like!)

Anyone else had any thoughts and/or experience with the XD?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I bought one about 4 years ago. Mine is the 5" gun. I bought it in September and as an experiment I fired the gun quite a bit and did not clean it at all. I wanted to see how long it would run like that. Finally on a cold day in April it had a round that did not fully chamber. The cold weather had the "crud" kind of sticky and the round was in the chamber but the slide did not close. I rap on the back of the slide sent it home and the gun fired the rest of that magazine. I took it home and cleaned it then.

That was the first malfunction I had in 7 months of shooting. I had probably 3000 rounds through the gun. I have cleaned it a as I normally would and have not had a single malfunction of any type since that day in April. I can put an empty round in the magazine and it will feed and chamber that piece of brass every time. It could possibly be the most reliable out of the box semi auto I have ever owned. I can't recall getting it wet though. Other than that first torture test mine won't get wet with no lubrication either as I keep it the metal parts oiled.

It ain't a 1911...but it is one fine weapon in my opinion.

Dan

All season on Guns and Ammo TV they have been abusing an XD, I think itís the 9 though. They dunked it in mud, sand, let it sit in water over night, put it back in froze it to chip from solid ice, drug it behind a truck, ran over it, dropped it from a 40' tower, fired 1000 rounds as fast as they could do mag changes a couple times. It had some hiccups closing when full of mud and other gunk but tended to do extremely well and great after a hose down from a water bottel. By the end of their tests the gun looked like hell but still shot a 6Ē pattern in the same spot as when new . . . Iím convinced from watching it all that the XD is every bit as reliable as any auto out there.

EDIT:
    Found some of it, have a look http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/spr...mer-xd-pistol/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think it is safe to say that you can count on the Springfield XD as much as you
    can any firearm.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

There are a couple of things I don't understand, never will understand. Simple, quick, basic care of firearms.....Where did it go?
    Secondly, Way back when I was young and dumb (not brave) I carried many firearms under the salt water ocean, strapped to my body in various ways. Guns and knives and other non-stainless steel items. I've been dropped (kicked out) from good aircraft into the open ocean, with gear and a little rubber boat. Spent days on remote islands in wet, salt water environments. I lost a really good 1911 pistol. They sink. But I've never had a firearm rust to the point of non-functionality. I guess I've just been lucky.

Aside form that rant.....I also think the XD is a good pistol. I don't see how fresh water could rust any gun to non-op condition in just one day....a week, or a winter...yeah that will do it. I know of a rifle that was stored after hunting season (dunked in the boat a couple times??!!) and was completely gone by the next spring. It was a stainless Browning A-Bolt.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default overnight

I think the critcal point that G&A missed was the effect of rust. "Overnight" didn't allow a sufficent time for any rust to form as I had formed on the gun I referenced.

While the slide is stainless and the frame is plastic, many of the internal parts are carbon steel and rust relatively easily as I found on the subject gun. The rust was very light and wipped off easily with an oily rag yet still had a serious effect on the operation of the gun - I couldn't even get the magazine out without considerable force and a block of wood. The slide was also very difficult to retract as there was light rust on the recoil spring and guide.

I don't doubt that the gun is very rugged but oil for lubrication and rust resistance it is obviously very critical. I think the gun could use some more stainless parts and perhaps a re-design of the close fitting recoil spring and guide assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    All season on Guns and Ammo TV they have been abusing an XD, I think itís the 9 though. They dunked it in mud, sand, let it sit in water over night, put it back in froze it to chip from solid ice, drug it behind a truck, ran over it, dropped it from a 40' tower, fired 1000 rounds as fast as they could do mag changes a couple times. It had some hiccups closing when full of mud and other gunk but tended to do extremely well and great after a hose down from a water bottel. By the end of their tests the gun looked like hell but still shot a 6Ē pattern in the same spot as when new . . . Iím convinced from watching it all that the XD is every bit as reliable as any auto out there.

EDIT:
    Found some of it, have a look http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/spr...mer-xd-pistol/
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Oh they let it sit on some of those tests and through the entire thing about the only cleaning was dump water on it and make sure the bore wasnít obstructed, no rags or oils were involved at all for like 90 days of torture tests. They did need to pull the slide off to rince the mud pie out from around the main spring area but they added no oil. If it started dry of oil or had itís oil removed things may have gone different.

But just how much abuse and neglect do you want a gun designed for? You can open it all up like an AK and it will run in anything but at the price of accuracy, or tighten it up so itís an un-reliable tack driver. I want a gun that strikes a balance, that is accurate and is reliable with normal monstrance that any gun should be getting and I belive the XDs fit that bill.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The XD is not my "favorite" handgun, nor is it my favorite semi auto. It IS the absolute hands down most reliable semi auto I have ever owned. I have and do own many...this one just works. As I stated above I have had ONE malfunction and that was after seven months without a single cleaning or lubrication of the weapon...something I would not normally do. I have tried to make this thing jam with light loads, limp wristed shooting, holding it upside down...you name it. It just RUNS. The only other semi I own that has not malfunctioned is my latest purchase, a "new" series 70 Colt 1911. No malfunctions yet but only 200 rounds fired.

I love my 1911's but if I were to go through a door that I knew trouble was on the other side (and I had to use a handgun) I would take the XD...no question.

Dan

If I took my blued 1911 and allowed rust to form on the rails it would do the same thing. My XDm has survived an incredible amount of abuse including a 40mph accidental ejection from my holster onto the Denali Hwy, a 45mph crash on my ATV in a chest holster that left a severe gun shaped bruise on my chest, constant use in wet weather, washed off in creeks and rivers dozens of times, over 2000 rounds without cleaning that included an 800 round tactical pistol class, then another 2000 rounds without cleaning ending with another 800 round tactical pistol class (1000 rounds without even any lube).. I have pounded this thing with reckless abandon and it just keeps coming back for more.

there was very light rust on the internal carbon steel parts but what was surprising to me was that the gun appeared to be totally devoid of any lubrication whatsoever- the metal parts looked like they had been dipped in a solvent to strip off all signs of lubrication. Apparently this lack of lubrication resulted in light rust on many surfaces.
    This is your friend's fault, not the gun's. I honestly have never scrubbed my barrel with a bore brush and I'm over 7000 rounds. I spray it inside with Fluid Film, wipe the outside with rag and move one.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My experience with XD's have not been very good.
    The first one I shot was an early model compact 9mm. It might of had something to do with the weather (around 0 deg F) but I had several FTF with WWB ammo throughout several different magazines. It was accurate however the feeding issues turned me off from the get go.
    The 2nd one I shot was a FS 40. It would not feed FP ammo at all.
    The 3rd one was a newer model XDM 45 which shot fine and was dead accurate.
    The major down side with the XD platform aside from the issues stated above is the inability to work the slide without depressing the grip safety. This is mainly a problem with one handed manipulation and malfunction drills. For a range gun I'm sure it's fine but would not rely on one as a defensive weapon if given the choice.
    Given my experiences I'll stick with HK/Glock/M&P.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    The major down side with the XD platform aside from the issues stated above is the inability to work the slide without depressing the grip safety. This is mainly a problem with one handed manipulation and malfunction drills.
    So . . . what the heck are you holding onto when doing your drills?

My Dad only had one hand that worked and he ran my brotherís XD45 just fine with a stump even having never torched one before, he had it covered with just his 1939 Marine Corp 1911 training. I never even noticed that the slide was locked out by the grip safety since I grip on the grip to cycle the action.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I fell into Bird Creek a few years back wearing mine. It went completely under with me. I've never had any issues nor is there any amounts of rust built up in it. I do routinely clean my fireams though.
    I've been nothing but happy with my XD45.
    As for the grip safety, the one handed drill I've done have involved hooking the rear sight onto a pocket or boot heal (etc.) but the firing hand is still on the grip so it's a non issue.

I can do off hand only double feed clearance drills with my XDm just fine. It's not that hard to adapt to a platform if you train with it regularly.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem