Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New fisherman needs help

Default New fisherman needs help

Hello folks,

I just jumped in the world of fishing and I would greatly appreciate some help from you experienced fishermen regarding a couple issues.

1. I purchased one 10wt. Echo-3S saltwater series fly rod and one Ross 7/8 wt. fly rod. I caught some sockeye on these poles with coho flies and pencil sinkers. Now i want to catch silvers. My friends told me that salmon-roe and vibrax are the two most effective ways to catch silvers. They also told me that I wasted my money on these fly rods because I can't cast vibrax and roe from it easily. I think the only option left for me to catch silvers is to use egg-sucking leech flies with a pencil sinker and drift it close to the bottom just the way i did for sockeye. Am I going to significantly decrease my chances to catch silvers because I can't use vibrax or salmon roe with my fly rods ? Did I really waste my money buying these expensive fishing poles ?

2. I want to catch some Steelheads this year and some kings next year. Are my fishing poles not perfectly fit for these two fish as I can't cast spinners/roe/spin-n-glow from my pole ?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_3S View Post
    Hello folks,

I just jumped in the world of fishing and I would greatly appreciate some help from you experienced fishermen regarding a couple issues.

1. I purchased one 10wt. Echo-3S saltwater series fly rod and one Ross 7/8 wt. fly rod. I caught some sockeye on these poles with coho flies and pencil sinkers. Now i want to catch silvers. My friends told me that salmon-roe and vibrax are the two most effective ways to catch silvers. They also told me that I wasted my money on these fly rods because I can't cast vibrax and roe from it easily. I think the only option left for me to catch silvers is to use egg-sucking leech flies with a pencil sinker and drift it close to the bottom just the way i did for sockeye. Am I going to significantly decrease my chances to catch silvers because I can't use vibrax or salmon roe with my fly rods ? Did I really waste my money buying these expensive fishing poles ?

2. I want to catch some Steelheads this year and some kings next year. Are my fishing poles not perfectly fit for these two fish as I can't cast spinners/roe/spin-n-glow from my pole ?
    Tell your friends that no rod is a waste of money. Egg sucking leaches is a good place to start, but pencil lead is too much in most cases. It all depends on the water you are fishing, parks streams definitely don't need a lot of weight. Tell us more about the areas you fish and people might be of more help.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

your 10wt will be perfect for kings and the 7/8wt perfect for steelhead. Your rods are perfect for the species you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Tell your friends that no rod is a waste of money. Egg sucking leaches is a good place to start, but pencil lead is too much in most cases. It all depends on the water you are fishing, parks streams definitely don't need a lot of weight. Tell us more about the areas you fish and people might be of more help.

Fish On!
    I am planning to fish Upper and Lower Kenai, Bird Creek, Ship creek, Jim creek for salmon. I will go to Anchor river for steelheads.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    your 10wt will be perfect for kings and the 7/8wt perfect for steelhead. Your rods are perfect for the species you are looking for.
    But these are fly rods and I will not be able to properly cast vibrax and other lures from them. I will have to stick to egg-sucking leech and other fly patterns with sinkers. Would it not significantly reduce my chances to catch silvers & steelheads this year and Kings next year ? My friends said that I should have purchased spinner rods so that I could use stuff like vibrax/spin-n-glo/salmon-roe for silvers, steelheads and kings. Do I really need to purchase spinner rods to effectively catch silvers/steelheads/kings ?

My friends are not very experienced fishermen so I dont know how much to rely on their words. That is why I really need some advice from the experienced fishermen here

But these are fly rods and I will not be able to properly cast vibrax and other lures from them. I will have to stick to egg-sucking leech and other fly patterns with sinkers. Would it not significantly reduce my chances to catch silvers & steelheads this year and Kings next year ? My friends said that I should have purchased spinner rods so that I could use stuff like vibrax/spin-n-glo/salmon-roe for silvers, steelheads and kings. Do I really need to purchase spinner rods to effectively catch silvers/steelheads/kings ?

You can definitley use can effectively catch them with the egg sucking leeches and flies. For example, you can use your fly rod during low tide with a fly and some weight and you would be just fine. You really dont need a Vibrax/lure to catch salmon. However, If you want to fish the high tides with lures it would be a little difficult with a fly rod. I bet you could pick up a salmon spinning rod for a decent price if you really want to use those specific lures/roe.

My friends are not very experienced fishermen so I dont know how much to rely on their words. That is why I really need some advice from the experienced fishermen here
    You definitley can effectively catch them with the egg sucking leeches and flies. For example, you can use your fly rod during low tide with a fly and some weight and you would be just fine. You really dont need a Vibrax/lure to catch salmon. However, If you want to fish the high tides with lures it would be a little difficult with a fly rod. I bet you could pick up a salmon spinning rod for a decent price if you really want to use those specific lures/roe.

My friends are not very experienced fishermen so I dont know how much to rely on their words. That is why I really need some advice from the experienced fishermen here[/QUOTE]

Yes the vibrex and roe do work well for silvers, but they are not the only things that work. I purchased a 8/9 wt fly rod a couple yrs ago and since i have bought it i hardly ever use my spin rod anymore. I have caught just as many silvers drifting with a fly rod. I use russian river flies or else a piece of yarn in a salmon loop. Your weight should be bumping the bottom on your drift but not holding. With a few drifts you can start to feel what is a bottom bump and what is a fish. Don't let them convince you that you "need" to fish with a spin rod to catch fish.

Once you learn casting and line handling you won't need anything else. It seems like the majority of people want to do all their fishing with one lure or bait, but you'll have more fun if you experiment and don't take things for granted. If you see a spinning outfit at a yard sale for cheap, go ahead and experiment with that too. Mono line with hardware is good for getting to deep places quickly, but fly line is good for controlled swinging across the current and can allow a natural tumble or broadside swim. In my experience, presentation trumps choice of lure or fly. Fool around, and watch people. And yes, in a fit of desperation or mischief you can in fact fling and swing a spinner with a big fly rod, or drift a wad of roe.

Personally I have a fly rod, bait casting rod, and a spin rod. I have yet to even try catching a silver on the fly rod, but I hope to try soon. But to the op, if you find you want to try a vibrax or eggs for a silver, you might want to get a little lightweight spin rod and try that. I wouldn't go as far as to say "ultralight" but darn near. It really shouldn't cost you much. So far I've really had a ball catching silvers on the light spin rod setup.

To the fly fishers..... I like to fish for silvers on a fairly small creek that doesn't move very fast, and it may be 8' deep at the most in some places.....but shallower in most. And like I said I really want to catch silvers on my fly rod. Currently I have a sinking tip on my 8wt. Is it more advantageous to not use any weight if at all possible, such as in a creek like this....??? Thanks...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow this thread is so full of tips and info for me. I really appreciate all of you guys posting the response.

I think now I am realizing that 10 wt. Echo-3S fly rod was not a bad choice and I should be able catch some silvers and steelheads using fly patterns. I will definitely give a little try to flinging the vibrax from this fly rod to a short distance and check how it feels.

However, I might have to buy a good spinning rod next year for kings. Not sure how good king fishing is going to be with flies.

Thank you very much for all the replies and please keep posting all the info you can. I think I actually find the info here more useful than what I have been reading in a lot of fishing books that I purchased.

So why cant you drift eggs....been doing it for years in the lower rivers for kings with a fly rod......no weights just eggs... just keep the slack out and you can feel them pick it up....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    So why cant you drift eggs....been doing it for years in the lower rivers for kings with a fly rod......no weights just eggs... just keep the slack out and you can feel them pick it up....
    ohh wow I didnt even know about that technique. No book mentioned this technique. Those books were just talking about roe with Spin-n-Glow and a couple more spoons/spinners.
    So can I just put some roe in egg-loop then cast it from my fly rod and just let it drift for kings ?

ohh wow I didnt even know about that technique. No book mentioned this technique. Those books were just talking about roe with Spin-n-Glow and a couple more spoons/spinners.
    So can I just put some roe in egg-loop then cast it from my fly rod and just let it drift for kings ?
    as long a bait is legal..yes(as always check the regs) might not work good on the kasilof or kenai way too fast of a current but on the smaller streams drift it through the holes and you might be surprised... no book in the world can compete with getting out there and trying new things and gettin you line wet of feet on the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    That is a common technique for silvers at Jim Creek. Its actually superior to spinning reel as you have more feel for when the fish hit the bait... just put a 2~3 ft mono leader on the end of your fly line. you dont' need to cast very far so it's not as big of a challenge as you might think.

takes practice though

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    That is a common technique for silvers at Jim Creek. Its actually superior to spinning reel as you have more feel for when the fish hit the bait... just put a 2~3 ft mono leader on the end of your fly line. you dont' need to cast very far so it's not as big of a challenge as you might think.

takes practice though
    ohh kool .. I will try this thing at jim creek for sure before using egg-sucking leech

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    To the fly fishers..... I like to fish for silvers on a fairly small creek that doesn't move very fast, and it may be 8' deep at the most in some places.....but shallower in most. And like I said I really want to catch silvers on my fly rod. Currently I have a sinking tip on my 8wt. Is it more advantageous to not use any weight if at all possible, such as in a creek like this....??? Thanks...
    Fishing a sink-tip is its own skill set. You'll have to experiment with different casts and mends to get a good swing at the desired depth, and you may find you need to shorten the sink portion to fit your specific conditions. It's not just "fly fishing, but deeper", as many think. I use a floating line with split shot for most of my salmon fishing, but that's because it fits my skill set better. Nice to have a sink-tip on the Kenai though.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    Fishing a sink-tip is its own skill set. You'll have to experiment with different casts and mends to get a good swing at the desired depth, and you may find you need to shorten the sink portion to fit your specific conditions. It's not just "fly fishing, but deeper", as many think. I use a floating line with split shot for most of my salmon fishing, but that's because it fits my skill set better. Nice to have a sink-tip on the Kenai though.
    I have floating on my 8 weight for Silvers throwing ESL's, ect. But, since I didnt want to spend the extra dough on sink for reds this year I just used a 10 foot leader (mono) so that I could get a good drift and know that I would be on the bottom. It was very effective. I am assuming you could use this for any flipping method.

How is sink-tip line different than floating tip + leader + splitshot set-up for salmon on kenai ?

How is sink-tip line different than floating tip + leader + splitshot set-up for salmon on kenai ?
    You control less of the line, so you have to lay the cast down the way you want it to swing. Once it hits the water, there is no "line handling" for the sink portion. On the other hand, it sinks so fast you should be able to get into the strike zone long before you have to start worrying about drag. The Kenai is about the size and speed where I have to think about which method I want to use, instead of doing my usual.

You control less of the line, so you have to lay the cast down the way you want it to swing. Once it hits the water, there is no "line handling" for the sink portion. On the other hand, it sinks so fast you should be able to get into the strike zone long before you have to start worrying about drag. The Kenai is about the size and speed where I have to think about which method I want to use, instead of doing my usual.
    ohh i see. I think I will just stick to the floating line + splitshot setup for now as I am new to fishing. I will definitely try the sink tip line once I get more familiar with fishing techniques.

Any fly patterns you would recommend to catch some steelheads at Anchor river this season ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast