Thread: Help me finalize spotting scopes

Default Help me finalize spotting scopes

So am making the final cuts to my packing list. I have a Swaro ate 65 and a leupold 12-40. The leupold is 16 ounces lighter. Based off the performance of the two and wanting to be as light as possible. What would you carry. I have not used the Swaro yet. This would be the first hunt.

I have used both Swaro,, no question. Not wasting time climbing to see what can be seen from below priceless......

Take both out tomorrow and place something with writing on it at 300 yards or so and see which one you can read with, keep backing it up until one can no longer be used to read with. Also try them both in low light, swaro shine in low light.

Good luck!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What's the potential glassing scenario? Caribou, Sheep?

I like good glass and generally think Swaro if you really need a spotting scope for say judging a legal judging ram before stalking closer. Do you also carry binos, a rangefinder, and rifle scope? Suggest eliminating other glassing redundancies to offset the weight of the Swaros if judging a legal animal from afar is truly necessary. Otherwise, leave both spotting scopes at home.

A Spotting scope is one of the most important items you could have on any hunt IMO where there is examination to see if an animal is legal. (brow tines, full curl, age, etc..) Go with the swaro is my vote

When sheep hunting besides my gun my swarovski is my most single most important piece of gear I own.... I would rather sleep under a rock then leave it behind and I have used both

Swaro.... no question. Just used one on a sheep scouting trip this last weekend. The ability to see that the white speck was a ram at 4+ miles and a determine full curl at 1.5+ mile was priceless. Heck, I'm planning on carrying my even bigger 85mm hunting this year.

The Leupold is a good scope, but no question the Swaro is better.

Yk

Like others have mentioned, if you need to judge animals for legality, take to best you have. If you don't need to judge, leave them both at home and go with binos.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Good advice by Stid. I did something similar while in SW to compare the Swaro 10x42 binoc to all the others they had. I picked out an employee of the month plaque on the 2nd floor, and I checked to see which binos would let me read the writing on the individual name plates. The Swaro was the ONLY binoc that I could read the writing through. With the summer days still long, I haven't been able to confirm the reported great low light gathering yet.

Did similar testing before my wife forced me to buy the Swaro spotting scope during the same store visit. (I think I'll keep her for another 26 years!)

Swaro vs. Leupold? I don't see how this is even a comparison. You're comparing a premium optic (Swaro) to one that can't even hold up to other in it's own price range (Leo). 16 oz is a lot of extra weight so I can understand the draw of the lighter Leupold. After using a few different Leupold's though I just couldn't see myself ever purchasing one, just not a fan. Swaro would be well worth the extra weight.

Thanks for all the input. Swaro it is. I just keep scrutinizing the pack. Looking for ways to reduce weight.

Another thought is to carry compact binos versus my 10x42 liecas. Thoughts on that?

Just depends on how much optical redundancy (which adds weight) that you desire.

Hmmm.... is Stid switching from the Leica to the Swaro rangefinder/bino combo? http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...nder-Binocular Hmmm.... I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Just depends on how much optical redundancy (which adds weight) that you desire.

Hmmm.... is Stid switching from the Leica to the Swaro rangefinder/bino combo? http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...nder-Binocular Hmmm.... I wonder why?
    I did change over to the Swaro combo for ease of use, better optics for my tired old eyes, and the angle comp.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I did change over to the Swaro combo for ease of use, better optics for my tired old eyes, and the angle comp.

Steve
    Steve have you had a chance to test it out a bit yet. It seems to be a long time coming for swaro to do the all in one cant wait to check one out...
    Dave

On my sheep hunt last year I took a pair of compact 9x28 Pentax LV binos and my Pentax PF-65ED spotter. I was kind of worried about taking the compacts vs. my 10x42's but was pretty happy with the combination and would use it again. The compacts were plenty good for locating sheep out to adequate ranges. If I wanted to scan a further hill side or inspect those dark crags I would just switch to the spotting scope.

I would rank a quality spotter ahead of binos on a sheep hunt. I know it would be nice to save some extra weight but I think if I had some 10x42 Leicas it would be pretty hard to leave them at home. Unless I had some premium compact binos, I would probably take the Leicas.

I've tried using compact binos on sheep hunts a couple of times. It's works, but I personally didn't care for it. The sensitivity to eye position gets old and it's far more difficult to do long glassing sessions. On the last trip, I was also surprised how many more sheep my buddy with 10x42's was able to pick out of the rocks. You would think being white and all, they would stand out better!

I'm currently using a relatively light set of 8x30's, which is about as small as I can go and still glass all day. Generally, good optics are in the "worth the weight" category for me.

Are you trying to make weight for a flyout hunt?

Yk

I have the leupold hd and love it. If you get the leupold get the HD He version and you will not be disappointed. It is light weight compact and extremely clear mine is 5 years old and has been used hard and still no problems at all. I would take the leupold any day and use the extra money saved to go hunting

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2