Thread: What is your favorite vacuum packer for fish ?

Default What is your favorite vacuum packer for fish ?

I was wondering what vacuum packing machines hold up in the long run. I started out many years ago with a one of the cheapo machines that one loads the fish in and uses the special bags from the company that makes the machine and half the time the air doesn't get completly sucked out or is the bag sealed properly.. Then I dedided to move up and get a more expensive machine that seals with the bag inside of a dome. This machine worked very well until one day a little part broke and since I purchased it on ebay and the machine was from China- I couldn't locate a part to fix it. I would like imput on machines that really suck ( No pun intended) the air out of the bags and hold up and if a part happens to wear out or break, one can get parts for it.

Thanks

Gitdown

Minipack chamber vacuum sealer. Its pricey but if you get a few buds to go in with you it is still pricey (but less so). The bags are also much cheaper and hardier. I haven't had any issues yet so can't speak to that. I am sure that the machine can do a lot more than I use it for. One nice feature is that with a chamber system you can do soups/etc or marinades on the meat. MVS 26X was our choice but there are a few options out there. Nothing prevents freezer burn like 99.9% air evacuation.
    Last edited by twilliams.907; 08-01-2012 at 19:46. Reason: more better grammar

Quote Originally Posted by gitdown View Post
    I was wondering what vacuum packing machines hold up in the long run. I started out many years ago with a one of the cheapo machines that one loads the fish in and uses the special bags from the company that makes the machine and half the time the air doesn't get completly sucked out or is the bag sealed properly.. Then I dedided to move up and get a more expensive machine that seals with the bag inside of a dome. This machine worked very well until one day a little part broke and since I purchased it on ebay and the machine was from China- I couldn't locate a part to fix it. I would like imput on machines that really suck ( No pun intended) the air out of the bags and hold up and if a part happens to wear out or break, one can get parts for it.

Thanks

Gitdown
    You'll find a LOT of info about this if you do a Forum search for vaccum packing machines.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I have the VP215 and like it a lot. It's $999 at Costco
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

We have had ours for about 3 yrs now. Bought it from AK Butcher Supply for around $1900 or so. Haven't had any problems with it.

I would highly recommend going through AK Butcher Supply if you want a machine that will last and that can be easily (and locally) serviced. We have one of their machines and have sealed many hundreds of fish, many moose, caribou, and more over the last four years and that thing is amazing (and worth every penny).

Another vote for AK Butcher Supply and the Mini Pack 31. Awesome machine. Had mine for 5 years now and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    Another vote for AK Butcher Supply and the Mini Pack 31. Awesome machine. Had mine for 5 years now and going strong.

Ditto......

Just finished our 6th box of bags tonight. 6000 bags so far for the summer, literally tons of fish. Minipak from AK Butcher, I have the 2 bag model. He is ALWAYS on the spot when I have had any issues and it is usually me being dumb with the machine. Call Butch and spend the $!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Another vote for AK Butcher Supply. I got tired of the cheapos and bought the MVS 31 this summer. I set it up in the garage where it's accessible and we use it all the time now.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Really depends on what you want to do. If you like getting on here and complaining every couple of years about your sealer braking and too expensive to repair, if at all, and then buying a new one that isn't at least the MV-31 at AK butcher, then continue buying from all the other spots.

Or, if you want to buy "one" and be done with it, go to AK butcher and get the MV-31. I think they are about $2,300 now. Or if you want to get fancier, you can always upsize.

If this is to much for you at the moment you can rent one for about $60 per day. And then save up for it. Or as others mention, you can try to buddy up with one or two folks to split the cost.

Just to share with you, I have spent up words of about $1,500 over the last 10 years on the other models, and then last year I burned up my Cabelas commercial pump sealer and a vac master before borrowing my neighbors AK Butcher 31. We were able to seal 2 Koyukuk moose without a blink. So, long story short, I now own my own MV 31. Pick up a small cart at Sam's and a grill cover at Home Depot or Lowes, and your done.

Good luck.
    Tony

Default Question about chamber type vacuum sealers

One thing my wife and I like to do is pick out a dozen or so of our best looking reds. Vacuum pack and freeze them as is, (minus the head and guts of course). With the “el-cheapo” bar sealers and a roll of vacuum bag material you can make bags of any length.

I think I know the answer to this question, but having only owned the "el-cheapo" sealers I'll ask. In the chamber type sealers, (like the MV series being talked about) aren't you limited in size as to what you can seal? If it doesn’t fit in the chamber you can’t seal it?

Thanks

Roger Kelvin, you can only seal what'll fit. 17" Bags in mine, a whle fillet but not whole fish. Simple answer though is to catch smaller fish if you want to seal the whole thing! Kidding of course, but that is a limitation of the unit.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by gitdown View Post

Thanks

Gitdown
    I'm thinking about springing for a chamber sealer myself but haven't tried one yet. A suggestion on replacement parts though (for anything). Try ereplacementparts.com. They seem to have a wide variety of replacement parts for all types of items. I was able to get a part from them about a year ago for an item I would have had to trash otherwise. The pricing seemed fair and I'll use them anytime in the future if I can't find a part locally.

I bought the MV31 5 or 6 years ago, on of the best investments I have made. You are limited to the bag size, I think 13" or 14" is the max. I will seal up a whole fillet at one time, I just simply fold it over on its self, cutting the meat to the skin. As you step up in the models, the bigger the bags you can run. One of the models can fit a full length fillet and does 2 at a time.

Check out the AK Butch site
    http://www.alaskabutcherequip.com/

Another for AK Butcher... Ray, Butch and their staff will take care of you and your machine.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Would like to thank everyone for the kind words about our company. We at Alaska Butcher Equipment & Supply try to treat all our customers as we would like to be treated. We do feel that we have the best products and untouchable customer service that you will find. Over the years we have made so many new friends through what is supposed to be a job. Wish everyone could have a job like this one. If you haven't been in before, please come in and take a look around. I'm sure you will find something you like. For those that have been in, thanks you so much for choosing us to fulfill your fish & game processing needs. We would not be here without your continued support.