Thread: bank silvers in Whittier....?

Default bank silvers in Whittier....?

Can it be done? Is there any oppertunity to catch Sivers from shore in Whittier? If so, is it close to being the right time?

It can be done, but not right now. They're running late. Maybe in a few weeks...

many years ago we did really good at salmon run for silvers. Casting a pixie, seemed like we hooked one every 5-6 casts.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

If you time it right, fishing can be great. If you are willing to fish in foul weather, you can sometimes have the place pretty much to yourself. The silvers mill around in schools, and the schools move from place to place. The most common places to fish, in no particular order, are: The small boat harbor. No snagging allowed in here, though it never seems to dissuade everyone. I've had great fishing there when the schools are in. Spinners or herring do well. Smitty's Cove. High-tide, look for visible jumpers, snaggers flock here because it concentrates the fish, but you can use other techniques. Salmon Run...pretty much the same rules as Smitty's but watch the tides. You can get stranded during high tide.

Sometimes schools mill around the very head of the bay, too. In Whittier, you have to move around until you find them usually. The run used to peak mid-September, but that was supposedly with a different brood stock than they use now, which is on an earlier schedule. I've caught them in the past well into October, and heard of people catching them in November in the snow....

It was such a pretty day yesterday that I had to launch my kayak in search of some fish. I put in at the very head of the bay, and trolled herring on a Pro-Troll e-chip helmet. BAM, on the first pass there was the first silver of the day. Pretty hen. There weren't any more silvers for me, although there were pinks offshore from the creek adjacent to the airstip. I pulled out a flyrod to entice more than few of them -- but I already had my supper fish so I released them. Just a marvelous day on the water, and I did indeed have the place to myself!