Thread: 225 Optimax Jet Install and Need Motor Lifted

Post 225 Optimax Jet Install and Need Motor Lifted

Well I finally got the jet foot installed on my Wooly and the motor is about 2 inches too low from having the prop and bay kit lower installed. I need to get it lifted about 2 inches or until it kisses the nylon spacer plate. I called and left a message for Marita. Does anyone know of a shop that would do this quickly or does anyone on here have a shop where you could do this without killing ourselves? I could buy the beer and pretzals!

I've got a tripod and chain hoist I just used to repower to a 90-horse 4-stroke if you want to drag it all the way out to the valley. Does the Opti have a picking eye?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

On my Honda,, the engine has 2 holes that are slotted. I can easily adjust the height by removing the top 2 bolts and either jacking it up or letting it down with the lower bolts just barely loosened. No hoist required.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    On my Honda,, the engine has 2 holes that are slotted. I can easily adjust the height by removing the top 2 bolts and either jacking it up or letting it down with the lower bolts just barely loosened. No hoist required.
    Stid, way to go there rubbing it in how sweet the Honda motors are.
    I am going to take it over to Ft Rich to the auto hobby shop and see what I can do. I bought the lifting eye from Marita today. My motor weighs nearly 600 Lbs. Should be real fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I've got a tripod and chain hoist I just used to repower to a 90-horse 4-stroke if you want to drag it all the way out to the valley. Does the Opti have a picking eye?
    Similar to Rod's suggestion, a come-along from an overhead joist (strong enough to bear the weight, of course) can make the lift rather easy.

I used a regular car engine hoist to lift the 140 Suzuki I had on my last boat.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Use your power tilt........raise the motor up slightly, place a block of wood under the foot (assuming you have the jet on). It might be handy to have the foot against a curb or some such imoveable object. Or hook a come-along between the foot and the trailer to keep it from getting away from you.
    Clamp a block of wood to both sides of the transom so the motor cant slip sideways, remove the bolts, then while backing up trim the motor back up so it can slide up the transom and or use the come-along to suck it in......

you may have to do this in small increments so the angle is managable against the transom.

Or you could air up the tires good & hard, block under the foot with the motor vertical, remove bolts and then let some of the air out of the tires, again use some blocks on the transom to keep it from going sideways, have some big C clamps ready to clamp if you need a second purchase. Throw a strap around it so it cant tip back & have a couple of good helpers handy..............
    You may need to come up with some way of preventing the powerhead from turning....

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.......I have done so much with so little for so long that its second nature to find ways to move big heavy objects...........!
    Also its not my motor so consider the scource of this information...........

Nowdays I use a forklift.............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR