Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Hewescraft?

Default Heavy Hewescraft?

I have a 2003 22' Searunner HT with a 115 Yamaha. Over the last couple years, and this one especially, I feel more and more under powered. Seems like I remember getting more speed several years ago with similar or heavier loads. Somebody told me that the foam in Hewescrafts have been known to get water logged. I pulled up the rear most deck board and yup, the foam was saturated.

However, before I go and remove all the flooring from my boat with intent to remove all offending water logged foam, I'd like to confirm my diagnosis. Seems a good way to do this is weigh the boat empty then compare that with what it should weigh according to Hewes, Yamaha, and the approximate amount of fuel. If it comes out much heavier that it should be, then I'll know I do in fact have a weight problem and I'll proceed with removing the wet foam. But, I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Question: Where would be a good place to get my boat weighed?

Thanks

Alaska sand and gravel will let you use their scale. I have used it several times.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

the city dump should have a scale you could use. I'm betting you'll be shocked when you find out how much water the foam has sucked up. I went to buy some used roofing foam(pink stuff) that was on craigslist last year, they had thousands of sheets of it, it was 2'x8'x 3" thick, well some of the sheets i could hardly lift and others were like feathers needless to say i did a lot of picking through the stuff to find the dry ones.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

whats the difference, if the foam is waterlogged you have to keep taking floor up till you get all the foam out.

well, if you know approx. volume of space the foam is occupying you can probably get a rough idea by calculating the weight of water that would occupy this space even without foam...just assume no foam. this would give you worse case...

Weight of cubic meter of water

A cubic meter of pure water at four
    degrees
    Celsius weighs 1,000 kilograms, or one tonne (a metric ton). The temperature of the water is significant because the density of water varies with temperature. It is at its densest at four degrees Celsius.
    One thousand kilograms is equivalent to 2,204.6 pounds (lb).

264.172 US gallons

A meter of water weighs about 1 tonne

If it's an 03, I'll guarantee you that by now that foam is really heavy and the floorboards aren't much better. I had an 04 HT ET with a 200 hp on it, so I can only imagine what effect that weight would have on a 115hp. Loved that boat but yes, the foam is somewhat like a sponge.

is the foam same way in 06 searunners?

If you go down Dowling to the NAPA turn south on Rosewood about 200 feet down there is a scale on the right side of the road. Pull up on it and look across the street above the enterance to the recycling place. There is a read out for the scale. there is no gate for the scale so it is open all the time. (well unless they have a truck sitting on it being weighed
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Prior to getting my SeaSport, I had a 2005 SeaRunner and had problems with very foul smells in the boat. When I took up the cockpit floorboards there was some really nasty liquids down there. The problem was that the aluminum stringers didn't allow for water to move from the sides of the cockpit into the bilge. I caught this prior to the foam being completely soaked. Hewescraft ended up paying to have Silver Streak cut holes in the stringers to allow water to exit. Before you put the deck back on you might want to find out exactly why the water isn't draining and is soaking the foam. Not sure if my boat was an exception but definately not a good design.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by palasz View Post
    well, if you know approx. volume of space the foam is occupying you can probably get a rough idea by calculating the weight of water that would occupy this space even without foam...just assume no foam. this would give you worse case...

Weight of cubic meter of water

A cubic meter of pure water at four
    degrees
    Celsius weighs 1,000 kilograms, or one tonne (a metric ton). The temperature of the water is significant because the density of water varies with temperature. It is at its densest at four degrees Celsius.
    One thousand kilograms is equivalent to 2,204.6 pounds (lb).

264.172 US gallons

A meter of water weighs about 1 tonne
    There are approx. 7.478 gallons of water in a cubic foot (@ 8.34 lbs/cf). Your weight calc. could be off significantly if you have soaked up salt water versus distilled water. Either way the weight is not nessacary and you need to replace your floatation with a non-water loggable floatation, or this will become a yearly winter project.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    the city dump should have a scale you could use. I'm betting you'll be shocked when you find out how much water the foam has sucked up. I went to buy some used roofing foam(pink stuff) that was on craigslist last year, they had thousands of sheets of it, it was 2'x8'x 3" thick, well some of the sheets i could hardly lift and others were like feathers needless to say i did a lot of picking through the stuff to find the dry ones.
    I bet he will be shocked, too. I weighed out at just over 1000 lbs of saturated foam and plywood from my project at the dump...that is basically what the whole boat weighed when new. And remember, I still had the f-glass hull at home. Blew me away!

Pull the floor boards, remove the foam and replace with a CLOSED Cell Foam. You will realize how much weigh your removing while pulling the phone. I removed about 3/4 of mine in an 20 foot boat and it was about 300 lbs +. Like I was told, it is ling having an extra fact chick in your boat all the time. Just my experience with foam.

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Pull the floor boards, remove the foam and replace with a CLOSED Cell Foam. You will realize how much weigh your removing while pulling the phone. I removed about 3/4 of mine in an 20 foot boat and it was about 300 lbs +. Like I was told, it is ling having an extra fact chick in your boat all the time. Just my experience with foam.
    Closed cell foam is more water resistant than many others it will however still absorb water if exposed to it !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Do the River Runners have foam under the floor? If so I know what I'm doing this winter.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Thanks for the feedback on where I can weigh my boat.

I was thinking about removing the foam and started being curious if there are any downsides to simply not replacing it? Obviously, I lose the ability to float when swamped. However, most aluminum boats don't have foam do they? Isn't that a Hewescraft and Boston Whaler thing?

If I don't replace it, I never have to worry about it happening again.

Here is some information on new boat manufacting and floatation required by the USCG : http://www.uscgboating.org/regulatio...gulations.aspx

There is an art to installing the proper foam in a boat.
    What type of foam to use.
    How to install it.
    How to leave channels to the keel.
    And make sure the water can drain down the bottom to the transom if needed.

And if your not putting foam in your boat be sure to install at least 2 bilge pumps and carry something to plug holes.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    There are approx. 7.478 gallons of water in a cubic foot (@ 8.34 lbs/cf). Your weight calc. could be off significantly if you have soaked up salt water versus distilled water. Either way the weight is not nessacary and you need to replace your floatation with a non-water loggable floatation, or this will become a yearly winter project.
    LxWxH divided by 231 will give you gallons then just multiply by 7lbs and you'll be close for weight.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If the link works, this may be of interest to some contemplating foam/flotation. The pool noodles were joined together and glued with 2 inch pvc stubs
    ...the ends are also sealed. I submerged a chunk of this material all of last winter with zip water uptake. https://picasaweb.google.com/1119976...01775455744498

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    LxWxH divided by 231 will give you gallons then just multiply by 7lbs and you'll be close for weight.
    I put the wrong measurement in the equation distilled water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon. SORRY !! I've also wondered about glueing in a bunch of empty plastic water bottles ? Each 16oz water bottle give 1 lb floatation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast