Thread: Tier 1

Default Tier 1

If you had one weekend during the season to hunt the nelchina tier 1 what weekend would you choose?

The first one. Hunting opening weekend keeps the 2,500 drawing permit holders out of the field, as their season starts 10 days later. That being said, hunting later will give you better intel on where people have been seeing animals.

Agree with Brian. This year, I plan on getting one in the yard, like the fellow on here did last year! Cept this year I have the right tag!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Brian PM sent

Yep ... and some people have to work... some don't like to be part of the initial swarm of hunters... and some choose to wait for the velvet to fall off the antlers ... and some like to wait to combine their caribou hunt with their moose hunt.

do they start updating the hotline opening day?

I'd make a B-line for the Big O. No one else wanted to go that far on the opener last year but it was a walk in the park and some nice, mature animals were seen.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Big O?? sorry not familliar with the area

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post

Just follow the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post

They are referring to the Oshetna River, there is also the Little Oshetna thus easier to say Big O and Little O.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Agree with Brian. This year, I plan on getting one in the yard, like the fellow on here did last year! Cept this year I have the right tag!
    Hey, I know that guy. Sweet picture Claude, sure brings back some amazing memories. The only question is, does that Caribou make my butt look big?

I wasn't looking at your butt... but I'll ask one of the girls at the lodge! lol

Yeah, that was one amazing caribou! I tell that story all the time. You'll be pleased to know that the caribou is bigger, and story is even more dramatic than it was that day!

Hahahahaha, thats great. I am all for adding a little drama. Happy to be a part of a little lodge history, and man, what a day it was. We'll have to stop in this fall and get the official Alpine Creek Lodge version of the story.

Avoid Labor Day Weekend. You will find the dip netting horde turned into caribou hunters.

Denalihunter have you been seeing any animals around, Are any of your trapper cabins still open from the Aug 8-13. Trying for figure out where to go for opening day with my son. Thanks Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

We have been seeing a lot of animals between the Susitna River and the lodge at milepost 68. There have been several small bands hanging in that area for the last several weeks. I'm not sure what the activity is to the East of us, toward Paxson, as I haven't been that way all summer. As far as cabins, I'm not at the lodge right now, but you can call my wife, Jennifer, and see what might be available. The number out there is 907-743-0565. Looking forward to seeing you out here!

Nice bou! The photo deserves a link to the rest of the story.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/105262-Scoring-Caribou?highlight=caribou

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/105274-Nelchina-Caribou-2011-a-dream-come-true!?highlight=caribou

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/108146-Nelchina-Caribou-Update?highlight=caribou

Guys,I would like to thank you for the good reading and tips that I have gone through the past 9 months,I have been out of the game for 20 yrs. but today my daughters 17 and 15 and I are leaving to try for a caribou .It has taken those 9 months to collect everything needed for this trip and many in the future, for me this is a trip of a lifetime ,my youngest would like to shoot!!! hope to get back with some pics ,we may be out there 10 days. thanks again. L.L.

Good luck out there LL!! Your going to have a blast, and there is nothing like the thrill of watching a kid harvest big game! We'll be looking forward to the pictures!