Thread: RC860 Zone 2 Caribou Hunt???

Default RC860 Zone 2 Caribou Hunt???

I have dug to the deepest depths of this forum and found little info on the Zone 2 Hunt that opens on Aug. 10th.
    Is there a reason nobody hunts this area?
    Is anyone else planning on heading out there next weekend.

Isn't zone two the one that is basically inaccessible from the road? If I'm thinking of the right area, the reason that fewer people hunt it is that it requires air transport in most cases.

Where is northway at when you need him.

I too think Zone 2 is the roadless area. Completely inaccessible by road and basically the same for any kind of boat. Air transport is the deal. I think a lot of the reason it doesn't get hunted is the combination of high access cost and unpredictability of herd location(s). I've hunted in there and seen large numbers one year and NO caribou the next. Most guys won't risk $2,000 to fly in, hoping there might be some caribou around.

keep in mind im totally unfamiliar with the area.
    But couldn't one go in around quartz lake just out side of delta?

Technically, one could access Zone 2 in the area around Quartz Lake. Chances of finding caribou in that location are prettttttty slim.

The only way I've heard people access it is via airplane or airboat, going up the middle fork of the Salcha.

If you're really looking for 'bou, it's better to wait until 29 Aug and go off Chicken ridge or the Steese.

plenty of people hunt zone 2, just that there are fewer than road areas. One reason they separated zones in the Fortymile Herd was to avoid competing access-styles related to the quota for these caribou harvests.

access is generally by air and from the yukon river.

larry

well i guess that would be why nobody is talking about it on here. I guess im to anxious

I've hunted zone 2 a few times. It is the roadless area. When I've hunted this, we have seen very few other hunters. A common one is to drive to Circle, be flown out to the headwaters of the Charley River and then float back to Circle. I have seen the river change quite a bit pretty quickly, so a boat can be chancy. The lower river isn't that hard to run, but if the water is low, you will have a problem getting a boat up there. Last year the water was as high as I've seen it. Right up to the top of the bank. Really easy to run in a boat, but at about 50 miles up, you get to a spot that you just can't go any further.

One hard part about hunting the river is that the caribou are either there or they aren't....Not sure about the harvest numbers from zone 2, but I would guess they are WAY lower than the other areas. Even in the past when the other areas along the road were over hunted, zone 2 still stayed open.

I have seen quite a few non-residents hunting this area too. 40 mile air does drop hunts and they also will drop people off and pick them up on float hunts.