Thread: Lightweight tarp idea?

Default Lightweight tarp idea?

I ordered a Kifaru paratarp back in early July in anticipation of our upcoming sheep hunt, but come to find out that they don't expect to ship it to me until August 20th. Now I'm less than a week out from departure and am scrambling for something workable for a siwash shelter. We each have a Ti Goat bivy, but would like to have something like the paratarp as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find something, as I don't really have time to place an order - but any ideas would be appreciated. I figure I'll check out AMH, Barney's, and Wiggy's today to see what they've got.

Brian, call Kifaru and talk to Angie or Patrick and explain your situation. They have always worked with me. I stopped in and chatted with Patrick a few days ago.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Brian, call Kifaru and talk to Angie or Patrick and explain your situation. They have always worked with me. I stopped in and chatted with Patrick a few days ago.
    I've been exchanging e-mails with Angie this morning - there's nothing they can do for me. Apparently their primary shelter sewer has been dealing with cancer, so they're not really able to expedite anything.

Man...I'm not usually much of a geardo, but in trying to keep my wife comfortable in the Brooks I've been doing lots of reading and a fair bit of ordering. (Thank you very much, Steve and Luke - thanks to you two, my AK Air mileage account is looking good! ) I've got things pretty well laid out, but two of the most important purchases I've made - this paratarp and my Kuiu Chugach jacket - can't be shipped until well after this hunt. Heck, the jacket won't even be here until mid to late September. I guess the fault is mine for not ordering back in March, but with 5 days to go I sure don't like the feeling of scrambling on gear. I guess it'll just restrict how realistic staying the night on the mountain will be if the weather is even just a little bit iffy. I guess we'll just have to put two down on the morning of the 10th and then relax back at base camp.

REI might help you out with some silnylon tarps. Or as an alternative option, one of these weighs about 11 oz:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...lity%20Blanket

It's no paratarp obviously, but tougher than than your average cheapy survival tarp and would work in a bivy situation. Also cheap and available, which helps One of these stays in my working daypack all the time.

Yk

Both Barney's and Alaska Mountaineering had a few different sol tarps by integral designs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the tips, fellas - I'll go check out the options and let you know what I decide. Ultimately, we still have our bivys - but my wife sure would feel more secure if I had a tarp to go along with it.

Brian, check out youtube and look at tarp tent ideas. You can make a nice shelter with a tarp, stakes and a couple trekking poles.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'll do that, Steve. We'll probably only have one trekking pole with us, so I'll play around in the yard with whatever I decide to buy. I'm bummed to not have the Kifaru since you speak so highly of their gear, but something is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll do that, Steve. We'll probably only have one trekking pole with us, so I'll play around in the yard with whatever I decide to buy. I'm bummed to not have the Kifaru since you speak so highly of their gear, but something is better than nothing.
    Brian, I have a golite SL3 sitting here you are welcome to borrow. I don't expect to need it this year and if I do it won't be till after you get back. I also have an SL 2 that you are welcome to as well which I definitely won't need this year at all.

Jon, that's an awesome offer! Thank you so much, sir. I think I'll look around in town and see if there's anything that I'd rather have compared to the Kifaru, but most likely I'll take you up on your offer and wait on the paratarp for later use. I'll send you a note later about coming out to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Brian, I have a golite SL3 sitting here you are welcome to borrow. I don't expect to need it this year and if I do it won't be till after you get back. I also have an SL 2 that you are welcome to as well which I definitely won't need this year at all.
    That is a great offer. The Sl3 is what Becca and I use as our bivy shelter as well. 1.5 pounds of goodness and complete 4 sided protection!!!

I'd let you borrow mine, but its going to be in use up in TMA.

And you are very welcome for your healthy mileage account.

Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

(Thank you very much, Steve and Luke - thanks to you two, my AK Air mileage account is looking good! )
    Those airline miles come in pretty handy though, we will be flying to both Kodiak and Prince of Wales this season on mileage tickets....so you see, the gear spending actually helps you afford more trips

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    So many options, and yet I don't recall seeing "the 2:00 a.m. tarp burrito."

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    so you see, the gear spending actually helps you afford more trips
    Impeccable logic! Sara is laughing, so she must agree as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

brian i carry a 10x12 hilleberg tarp every where i go now... its a little spendy but is way easy to set up...

seen here on the Kuparik last fall with 7 bou under it...

guess i spent about 100 bucks on it.. but its tougher then i thought... i use it on the skiff as a rain cover when out also.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default AMH

AMH has a couple different sized Integral Design siltarps. If I remember correctly, REI hasn't been carrying the Integral Design siltarps in store recently.

P1020407.jpg

Looks nice, Vince. That's pretty similar to what I have on order from Kifaru and it looks like the price is pretty comparable (currently $190 on Hilleberg's website).

I checked out AMH today and looked at prices/figures. At this point I think I'm going to carry LuJon's SL-3 and just wait on my Kifaru for later trips. It'll be an extra pound or two, but it's more than worth it and I'll end up with the tarp I wanted instead of something not quite as ideal in my mind.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I know that Cabela's has a few options. I recently purchased a 16'x16'. Although a little large they did have other configurations. You might check them out.

Good luck.