Thread: Fort Rich Moose Hunts?

Question Fort Rich Moose Hunts?

I am currently stationed in Korea, but will be arriving in the Anchorage area in July. I was told that there is a black powder Moose hunt available on Fort Richardson Army Garrison. Anyone know any of the particulars for this hunt? Such as what time-frame, what are the limitations as far as traditional and inline? Who I need to contact to get the ball rolling? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first Moose hunt ever, and I am looking for a freezer filler, not a wall mount!

If nothing else, I would be looking for other Anchorage area black powder hunters with tips of where else to hunt.

The Ft Rich muzzle loader hunt is a draw hunt with the application period in May. Drawing chances are very small. You have to have attended a muzzle loader hunting class and be a "certified" muzzle loader hunter. The fort and adjacent Elmendorf AFB also have archery hunts but the same rules apply, drawing hunts and bow hunter certification. Here's the link to information: http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=permits.main

Default Tough

Yep, this is a tough hunt to get. I plan on applying for both the archery and bp hunts but won't let my feelings get hurt if I don't get drawn. That's just the nature of the draw.
    I'm not even sure if you can apply, since you are not stationed here and are not a resident. I believe you'll miss the drawing application deadline. Check the link above.

I did come back on Mid-Tour to establish residency in Alaska, but as far as the certification class...I'll definetly not make the window for that. Looks like the Public Property hunt for me! Thanks for the info, and good luck on your draw.

This is a little tricky. Usually you cannot begin establishing residentcy until you have spent 12 months physically in the state. Your orders did not bring you here yet, and it is possible, though doubtful, they could be changed. Being up here on mid tour usually doesn't start the clock. The point being be careful, You start your 12 months to residentcy the day you get here with the intent to stay, or the day you get here under orders. You are not yet here under orders. As military non resident for the first year, you have to buy the big game license but the individual tags are half price. The guide requirements remain.
    If you had muzzle loader certification, you could apply from there, as a non resident. You can also use a muzzle loader on any general hunt with out the certification.

To add to the above:

Nonresident military personnel hunting on military land: For the first 30 days, military personnel and their dependents must have a nonresident license and appropriate nonresident locking tags for big game hunting, regardless of where in Alaska they hunt. Active Duty members of the military (not including dependents) who have been on duty at an installation of facility within Alaska for more 30 days but less than 12 months may hunt big game on military land open to hunting without a license or nonresident tags.

So to avoid paying nonresident military fees (1/2 price) you could hunt moose in the general season on Wainwright or Greely (provided the posts are open to hunting).

I do not know if you can apply for the Fort Richardson Blackpowder hunt without being a resident. But I imagine that you have to be a resident to apply for the hunt so even if you can hunt on military land I don't think you would be eligible for the drawing permit until next year. Supplements will be out shortly (1 MAY) they will have the details, my guess is you’re out of luck. There is some decent hunting at Fort Wainwright but access to the land will most likely be tough, I shot my first moose there. PM me if you want.

Default My Hero

Bill S. is my hero Thanks buddy for the good info

Default Fort Rich contact

Welcome to Fort Fishandhunt,

I work on Fort Rich in the Environmental Resources department. The man you need to talk to about this is Chris Garner (christopher.d.garner@us.army.mil). He'll be able to fill you in on all the local (FRA) requirements. Sorry I can't give you the details myself.

He can buy a non resident hunting license and apply for the Ft Rich hunt next spring as long as he has the ML certification.