Thread: Smoking fish

Default Smoking fish

Don't know where to post this, but I have a question on fish quality. I thawed out some red salmon fillets to smoke that were left over from last year. They had a real strong smell like the Kenia river in the dipnetting area. Didn't smell rotten, just a real strong river smell. Are these bad or is that just a smell of year old fillets?

I've eaten dozens of Kenai samon fillets that were at least a year old and they had no off odors at all. We handled our fish very carefully and vacuum bagged with a commercial grade sealer the same day they were caught. They were kept frozen in a sub-zero deep freeze. All of these things contribute to fish that comes out of the bag (nearly) as good and fresh as it went in.

That being said, if the fish doesn't smell fishy (rotten) it should be safe to eat. It may or may not taste great, but shouldn't make you sick.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Don't know where to post this, but I have a question on fish quality. I thawed out some red salmon fillets to smoke that were left over from last year. They had a real strong smell like the Kenia river in the dipnetting area. Didn't smell rotten, just a real strong river smell. Are these bad or is that just a smell of year old fillets?
    When in doubt throw it out!

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    When in doubt throw it out!
    Why? It isn't a poisonous mushroom, it is a fish fillet. Brine it up and smoke it. If it tastes like **** you can always feed it to the dog later.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Personally I'd never ask on a forum like this whether eating fish that smells bad is OK to eat. You're obviously going to get responses that run from one extreme like what Kenai Keys said, to the other extreme like what SkinnyRaven said. Are you willing to risk food poisoning, or at the least spending the time and effort it takes to smoke fish, because of what someone told you on this forum that you don't know at all, to find out that it's not worth eating or spoiled? I've been cooking long enough in my life to know that if something doesn't smell right before you prepare it that it probably isn't going to get any better smelling or tasting by cooking it.

I think the important question to ask is whether or not frozen fish that you have thawed that came from the Kenai should smell like the dipnetting zone. I would say no.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Did you fillet them at the river & wash them off with river water that day?

Stored in a frost-full freezer, or a frost-free freezer? (The latter will not keep your fish well even half a year)

Not to pick on any of the methods you use there, but in the past have your methods resulted in good fish taken from the freezer one year later? If you're doing everything right, they sure should store a year without problems.