Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Unit 13 caribou thread.

Default The official Unit 13 caribou thread.

10 day countdown begins tomorrow. This is the place to ask questions, spread rumors, share information, warn others of treacherous conditions/road construction and sync up if anyone is inclined to do so.

I've talked to the owners of the MacLaren and Alpine Creek lodge and got a little update. At alpine, they said river/creek levels were high earlier but have gone down to average by now. Suzie at the MacLaren said she understands the herd did well over the winter and she's already seeing individuals and tiny groups moving around.

With Fish and Game upping the quota by 2500, I cant help but deduce that the herd must be big and healthy. Keep in mind that last year it still took until December to fill the smaller quota. There might be some very good winter hunting to be had for those who wait until the snow falls. The chance of an early closure goes way down with the biggger quota.

If anyone has any sort of update about conditions around Eureka that would be great. I have no contacts with anyone in that area.

I'll be hunting the opening day and probably sticking around Saturday at the MacLaren lodge. The women will be staying in the lodge but if you see a military arctic tent at one of the nearby pullouts, stop by and say hi. I'm willing to chat about what I saw. Also, I'm eager to bag a grizzly if theres anything in that area, so if anyone sees one PM me.

Happy hunting and remember: BE ETHICAL AND BE SAFE OUT THERE. Let the season begin.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

It looks like there will be road construction happening on the richardson highway, north and south of the denali. Last year it took forever. Looks like its a smaller section they'll be working on this year.

http://511.alaska.gov/alaska511/mappingcomponent

Here's the highway conditions/construction guide.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Just drove through the section of the Richardson south of Paxson today and the construction wasn't too bad. We had two stops of about 5 minutes each, then on our way.

Just looked briefly at a map of the boundarys for DC481, how does one access this area? Doesn't look to be near the Richardson, and it's well east of the parks, and west of the glenn, Fly in? Atv? Boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Just looked briefly at a map of the boundarys for DC481, how does one access this area? Doesn't look to be near the Richardson, and it's well east of the parks, and west of the glenn, Fly in? Atv? Boat?
    Check the EO.... like NOW!

Where can I find the "unofficial" unit 13 caribou thread?

I've got the DC483 tag...even after having all of the draw areas combined, I'll still probably hunt this area unless I hear of a lot of animals in a different area.

I'm going to be doing my hunt in mid-September. If that doesn't work out, I'll come back in the winter...if that doesn't work out...oh well....

Good luck to everyone hunting unit 13!

I've now got the draw so I'm putting off my haul road/ivashak river hunt to the first week of September so I can take a shot at this 20-26 August. I figure I'll pack my truck and pretend its my boat and the highway is the river. I'm going to wing it and call the hotline to help decide which end of the road to start on and then spend Saturday and Sunday scouting for high points and hopefully making friends and sharing info with tier 1 hunters. Worst case scenario is I spend a week exploring some beautiful country. If anyone cares to share info, shoot me a pm.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I've now got the draw so I'm putting off my haul road/ivashak river hunt to the first week of September so I can take a shot at this 20-26 August. I figure I'll pack my truck and pretend its my boat and the highway is the river. I'm going to wing it and call the hotline to help decide which end of the road to start on and then spend Saturday and Sunday scouting for high points and hopefully making friends and sharing info with tier 1 hunters. Worst case scenario is I spend a week exploring some beautiful country. If anyone cares to share info, shoot me a pm.
    As long as you say the Pittsburgh steelers are the greatest team ever... I will give you some good intel

Swing by if you're in the MacLaren area on opening weekend 323. I'd enjoy finally meeting you. I'll share some brew and maybe a cigar.

My son and I will be heading out on the 8th so we will have two days to scout going to let him shot the bou it will be his first he just turned 12 cant waite not sure where we will be going going to call the hotline and see what they say. Good luck to everyone
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I git home late the 15 and will be packing up the 16 then heading out the 17
    so I well be keeping a good eye on this forum to see withc way to go and I have the hotline on speeddial on my phone LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    As long as you say the Pittsburgh steelers are the greatest team ever... I will give you some good intel
    As a true fan you must know I could never do that. I will say that they are a well run franchise. Will that work?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Good luck to everyone, Ill be up there hopefully at the end of the month. was hoping to get out there on the opener but work got in the way. Ill be up there on the RC566, so thinking about trying to do the hunt during moose season. Ive never hunted this area for moose but hopefully i will get lucky this year.

We don't start until the 20th because me daughter has a draw tag. With the draw tags all getting combined we will probably be changing our hunting plans
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    This never has to be said, 323. Its just a matter of fact.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    This never has to be said, 323. Its just a matter of fact.
    Very true but some folks refuse to see the light

Football.... really????? I'll give you back your man cards if I don't shoot a bou or catch a 20+ pound laker before New Years. Until then, you are gelded.

Headed up Friday I'll Bevin a white Rubicon. My buddy and I will have fishing poles and my caribou tag. I'm hunting the RC566 tag really just planning on a meat hunt but the upped quota makes me want to hold out for a bull, lol.

Have a question in regards to caribou meat. When is the best time to harvest a caribou, early in the season or later? As this is a meat hunt for me i would like to harvest an animal in its prime. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Have a question in regards to caribou meat. When is the best time to harvest a caribou, early in the season or later? As this is a meat hunt for me i would like to harvest an animal in its prime. Thanks
    The earlier the better for bulls. Look for bull with lots of fat on its rump. For a cow any time before its bread in late September or October.

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast