Thread: Fort Severn First Nation works to save fleet of historic canoes(CBC)

Default Fort Severn First Nation works to save fleet of historic canoes(CBC)

Used to get CBC on the rabbit ears from Northern Maine. I still keep up on the CBC news occasionally and this particular story was really moving. One of the most Northern villages up river of Hudson Bay, has a lot of old canoes that have so much rich history that they deserved to be respectfully restored. The only problem was that the community lacked the skills to do so. I'm so pleased to see these folks keep ahold of their rightful culture. They reached out to the right people to help them do so. The two guys up there, are freighter canoe fanatics. I really hope to meet them someday, when their work up Bay is complete. What a great learning experience for the youth of that community. Nothing is more rewarding than bringing a majestic craft from the tall grass, and back to the water. Don't forget to watch the video!:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...storation.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's funny, the guy in charge of the funded restoration, claimed folks brought him an old book of that region. I have pictures from that very same book from the 1940's. He said the cover was torn off, the author and title was unknown. When I saw the pictures, I immediately recognized the title, it is: "Hudson Bay Watershed".

I'll scan some of these old pictures of First Nations hunters/fishers/trappers using very old freighters with some of the first 10 horse outboard motors used up there on a canoe. I have one picture from that book showing two guys poling UP rapids because the motor was broke (they weren't reliable back then).

More pictures from their website:

http://fortsevern.firstnation.ca/

Good stuff for sure.The passing on of knowledge is one of the greatest things a man can do.Youth willing to take on this knowledge is one of the smartest things a young person will do.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Very neat. A retired RCMP friend of mine was up there last year taking polar bear pictures...wind chills were off the meter and his cameras froze up...those are tough folks up there!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.