Thread: Boat blind

Default Boat blind

Can anyone recommend a blind for a 16' boat with a mud motor? I want one with a roof that opens to shoot, not the A frame looking ones that have the top exposed and heads stick out. Also, I'd like it to be wind/weather proof so wind isn't an issue and a buddy heater or two would work wonders because those windproof layers really hold in heat. Thanks in advance.

Anyone? Now I'm planning on building one and would like to add a spring loaded roof that flies open with a lever/pedal. Anyone built anything like this and willing to share plans?

You could check out beavertail boat blinds or maybe the cabelas northern flight. I know you can get the northern flight with a wind blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by airborneduckhunter View Post
    You could check out beavertail boat blinds or maybe the cabelas northern flight. I know you can get the northern flight with a wind blocker.

Any experience with either? The more I think about it, the more I think I can get away with building my own, building it better, and probably for a fraction of the cost...

Ahh, you mean like this one, with the flip back top, aluminum rigging that fold down flat when underway, extends back to cover motor also. Great duck blind, one shown is on 18 ft boat, but i just sold one 2 days ago that fits a 14-16 ft boat, and in excellent condtion. Cost me over $500 plus shipping, sold for $250. Had it posted for a week on CL and our own forum classifieds, plus mentioned in the forum itself. You were a little slow on this one, good luck finding another deal like this. Bud
    camo blind2.jpg
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Ahh, you mean like this one, with the flip back top, aluminum rigging that fold down flat when underway, extends back to cover motor also. Great duck blind, one shown is on 18 ft boat, but i just sold one 2 days ago that fits a 14-16 ft boat, and in excellent condtion. Cost me over $500 plus shipping, sold for $250. Had it posted for a week on CL and our own forum classifieds, plus mentioned in the forum itself. You were a little slow on this one, good luck finding another deal like this. Bud
    camo blind2.jpg

I was getting an 18' boat initially and the minute I decided on a 16 footer, I PM'd you. You told me the next day that you'd sold it 2 hours prior. Sounds like you were a little slow checking the PM's!

But to get back on topic, because I'm not sure how your post helped, I've spent some time in a Quick Flip and I do like it, but I think I can make something better. Only time will tell, I suppose, but we'll see. It was a good blind, just needed a few changes.

If you would like I have a link to some do it yourself plans that may get you going in the right direction.

If you would like I have a link to some do it yourself plans that may get you going in the right direction.

Sweet, send em my way! Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I was getting an 18' boat initially and the minute I decided on a 16 footer, I PM'd you. You told me the next day that you'd sold it 2 hours prior. Sounds like you were a little slow checking the PM's!

Sorry, I was just ribbing you a little for being a bit slow, maybe it was me, who knows. good luck building a blind for your new boat, you can buy aluminum tubing or emt, can't be too difficult if you or somebody you know can sew a little
    Wasilla

Sorry, I was just ribbing you a little for being a bit slow, maybe it was me, who knows. good luck building a blind for your new boat, you can buy aluminum tubing or emt, can't be too difficult if you or somebody you know can sew a little

Who needs to sew?? I have zip ties! I planned to use emt and a bender. My main concern is how to spring load the roof. I've got the basic idea in mind, but always open to advice since I've never built one before.

You might consider not doing the spring load thing. The one I had you could simply flip back by hand, it was easy and quick, worked well. I had thought at first that a spring load would be good, but really after using mine, did not think it was necessary at all. mine had 2 pieces of 1" square tubing going across the boat, then a simple sheet metal screw securing it at each corner to the gunnel, the rest of it pivoted on the square tubing frame, secure and solid. You could always add the spring assist later if you decided it was necessary. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Sweet, send em my way! Thanks...
    http://www.mediafire.com/?5g8dh7mt3i1i7pq Here you go! This is a Power Point slide show. Once I get a new boat this is what I will be going for. Good luck!

You might consider not doing the spring load thing. The one I had you could simply flip back by hand, it was easy and quick, worked well. I had thought at first that a spring load would be good, but really after using mine, did not think it was necessary at all. mine had 2 pieces of 1" square tubing going across the boat, then a simple sheet metal screw securing it at each corner to the gunnel, the rest of it pivoted on the square tubing frame, secure and solid. You could always add the spring assist later if you decided it was necessary. Bud

Yeah, I know what you're saying, I just really like the idea of a hands free method of getting the roof out of the way FAST. If I can make/design something that'll allow a guy to stomp a pedal or something similar, he can have both hands on his shotgun and be completely ready to shoot when he does it. I don't think it's 100% necessary, but isn't that why we build stuff?

I tried to post this for you earlier and for anyone who has an interest in building their own boat blind. It is a link to a power point sliide show with direction. http://www.mediafire.com/?5g8dh7mt3i1i7pq I hope this helps.

I tried to post this for you earlier and for anyone who has an interest in building their own boat blind. It is a link to a power point sliide show with direction. http://www.mediafire.com/?5g8dh7mt3i1i7pq I hope this helps.

I can't get it to open on my phone. I'll check it out later. Thanks for the help!

Yeah you will have to download it. I am thinking I may go this route when I get another boat.