Thread: Swamped SportJon on the Copper.

Default Swamped SportJon on the Copper.

So there's a picture making its rounds of a SportJon swamped up against the beach on the Copper.

Story behind what happened?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I haven't seen the pic can you post it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I heard about it and apparently when the guys were pulling boat out, the kicker swung out and caused river to back roll into the boat, up to steering console quickly, the thew water and current took him off trailer and the saving grace is that boat was tied to trailer.
    10k fork lift dragged in onto bank and water drained and then the lifted onto trailer.
    Rumor has it both engines rebuilt approx 7-8000 grand, they got 80 fish at 1000 a fish isnt to shabby. I bet next time the angle the trailer down river when they pull the boat out.

The pic is here

Sorry, can't figure out how to post the pic from my iPad...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Man that has to suck
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I think that is 100$ a fish -

i launched above the bridge there back in june & had to put my trailer in almost parallel to the bank. dat current strong son

Current was 5.5 mph last weekend.

I broke my side board unloading there a few years back. Now I take the downstream side guide off on the Copper River. I can then drive on from an angle in the current and power up onto the trailer. Saw another boat almost do the same thing while waiting to load. He was at an angle and only had a few inches before the current would have swamped the back corner.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

When we pulled out a few weeks ago, I was close to swamping mine, i think the only thing that saved me were my beavertail pods on the back, but boy was I nervous when I seen how close the river was comming up over the back of the boat

Thumbs up High sides

High sides or smarts are a must on a Copper. I actually modified the transom up 12" and put long gussets on my first boat just for launching into the Copper. Gave me piece of mind. Heres a pic but we were not on the Copper on this trip lol.
    ivashak.jpg

If he gets on the motor right away, he could have it running in a couple hours and be good to go. Hope he doesn't let it set for a day or 2. I swamped my old airboat a couple years ago at a steep river gravel ramp, my truck got stuck, transome under water, boat rolled right over but stayed on the trailer. Had to get the truck pulled out with trailer on it. What a mess that was, did manage to right the boat before pulling out. Bud
    Wasilla

It must have either been a plot by Wooldridge or a water hauling test by Mel.

In either case, thanks for the stories and photos. I'm always learning something new on this site from you guys. The Wife would not be understanding if I sank our future boat, esp. if it was tied to the trailer.

Well, let me tell you about my super secret chitina boat launch.

I use to launch my sportjon in the same location. And I got the same scares as everyone is talking about. So I went to another location to launch my boat. The water is a lot calmer and it’s a very gentle slope into the water.

The two problems are its not deep water, skiffs and sportjons won’t be a problem, larger boats may be and it's got a sandy streach getting to it. I wouldn't try launching with a motorhome.

It’s on the other side of the bridge. Once you cross the bridge instead of turning left, turn right. The bridge abutment protects it from all the current. For the most part I can stand next to my trailer and just float my boat on.

Just do me a favor, if you are not a polite helpful kind of person stay on the other side of the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    It must have either been a plot by Wooldridge or a water hauling test by Mel.

That, my friend, is frickinn hilarious............!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I was there that weekend and tried to launch at that very spot. I did not even back to boat far enough into the water to get it off the trailer before I freaked out. Ya, it was bad. I have launched there before with only the usual troubles. Seems to me the river was low (go figure) and the bank was much more steep. We moved downstream and it worked just fine. I heard about the incident when we got back upstream from dipping a few days later. Those lessons don't come easy or cheap, but are invaluable. Thanks for posting.