Thread: A oldie

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice, would be awesome!

Great looking old boat. They last forever when stored properly. Said the local pick-up option was in Hope, Maine. No bids, I'm surprised.

Maybe the seller needs a person from Maine to bid? ;-)

I'd sure hate to think what shipping would cost to get it here (like everything else.... we pay more).

During the making of the movie Deliverance, they used an Old Town Canoe of similar construction. During the scene where the canoe cracked in half, was after many failed attempts to get the boat to break. They actually had to cut the canoe in different places to make it break in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Maybe the seller needs a person from Maine to bid? ;-)

I'd sure hate to think what shipping would cost to get it here (like everything else.... we pay more).
    I was quoted $575 to truck & barge my Old Town Guide 147 from Tampa, FL to Anchorage. Needless to say, it's still at my dad's house.

Wouldn't mind adding that beast to start my fleet. How cool would that look on the water all restored. I wish I had a clue what it would take to bring her back . Maybe a few classes??? It's only in the state next to me !!! I have be doing AutoBody for 36 years and have restored many cars and vetts too , but they are not made of canvas and wood !!! But I do know a little bit about sanding LOL.

Default classes?

FL, I would have thought it would cost twice that much or more.

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    How cool would that look on the water all restored. I wish I had a clue what it would take to bring her back . Maybe a few classes???
    I bet you could get enough good advice on here to get'r done. That would make a nice winter project eh?

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    But I do know a little bit about sanding LOL.
    That's the bulk of it, right there. The hardest thing you might run into is any completely rotted wood that might have to be replaced. Curving strips of wood is an art form that requires good technique, special jigs, and special equipment to make the right amount of steam. The canvas is literally like sewing in home-ec class. You cut and trim the canvas with pinking shears to fit the canoe, stretch it over the canoe and then you tighten it using a special paint called dope, which, as it dries makes the cotton contract and shrink tight against the hull. (That process is called "doping.")

the seller said it was 3 ft wide. Is this a stable canoe? ( dumb Question ). And what kind of weight could this canoe haul?And last,how many people could you safely put in it ?? Thanks