Thread: I can't tell if this new halibut line is braided or mono...

Default I can't tell if this new halibut line is braided or mono...

Had 300 yards of braided line spooled up on my Penn halibut reel this afternoon at B&J. Took it to the checkout desk and told the guy like 4 times that it's 300 yards of braided, 80 pound test. Had the reel sitting right there on the counter. Then the last thing he asks me is "is that mono or braided". If I'd been in a chair I would have fallen out of it.
    Last edited by skydiver; 07-31-2012 at 21:21. Reason: spelling

Sounds like he has a listening disorder.

Pretty common malady!

The part that struck me funny was when he asked me if it was mono or braided and the reel was sitting right there in front of him. Regardless, my reel got spooled up in 5 minutes and I found all the jigs and leadheads I was looking for. No complaints.

should of told him 300yds of 4 lb test mono, yeah the cheap stuff you have.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Just because the guy behind the counter is ignorant doesn't make it right to steal. Shame on you, Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Just because the guy behind the counter is ignorant doesn't make it right to steal. Shame on you, Steve.
    No shame on them, they need to hire people that give a s*it about what they are doing, its called being professional about your job or lets take it a step down and just have a bit of pride/knowledge in whatever your job is. If i ran my business like that how long do you think i'd be in business ? Remember one aw sh%t takes a 100 attaboys away !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I'm not about to screw over someone (or a business) just because I could get away with it or because they don't know what they're doing. If I walk into a business and agree to buy something, then I agree to buy it at the price it's supposed to be unless they voluntarily give me a discount. I really don't care if the cashier knows anything about what they sell. That's the job of the sales people. I just thought the mono vs. braid thing was amusing. But hey, I'm a guy who tells a cashier when I'm given too much change back.

If i ran my business like that how long do you think i'd be in business ? Remember one aw sh%t takes a 100 attaboys away !!
    Well, how 'bout if you ran your business like you run your mouth on this forum? How long do you think you'd be in business then? I know I won't spend my money at an establishment where the proprietor has a bad attitude, is constantly bad-mouthing other people, and publicly advocates hurting people.

Rod in Wasilla, it appears to me you a trying to start a fight. I took the quote below to be sarcastic, funny and and not serious advice.

Sorry Bayrunner. No, I wasn't trying to start a fight, I was trying to make a point. Maybe I should have tempered my post a little. But based on some of Steve's other posts, I truly don't believe that sarcasm was his intent. Rather, I believe it was malicious, much like his posts about cutting shrimp pot lines if they're in his way, or kicking people off the dock into the harbor because he disagreed with them about which lane was intended for launching at Whittier.

For those that care, I'm truly sorry for stooping to his level with my previous post. I just don't think that kind of maliciousness has any place here, and I called him on it. I suppose I was tired of all the puffery and rabble-rousing. I just wish the moderators were as proactive with redacting such posts as they are when people talk about the poor service they got from a business, or discussions regarding the illegal activities of certain individuals or companies, even though such activities are part of the public record.

Again, I apologize. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Sorry Bayrunner. No, I wasn't trying to start a fight, I was trying to make a point. Maybe I should have tempered my post a little. But based on some of Steve's other posts, I truly don't believe that sarcasm was his intent. Rather, I believe it was malicious, much like his posts about cutting shrimp pot lines if they're in his way, or kicking people off the dock into the harbor because he disagreed with them about which lane was intended for launching at Whittier.

For those that care, I'm truly sorry for stooping to his level with my previous post. I just don't think that kind of maliciousness has any place here, and I called him on it. I suppose I was tired of all the puffery and rabble-rousing. I just wish the moderators were as proactive with redacting such posts as they are when people talk about the poor service they got from a business, or discussions regarding the illegal activities of certain individuals or companies, even though such activities are part of the public record.

Again, I apologize. I'll try not to let it happen again.
    Hey Rod
    Where have i said that i cut peoples gear off !!! I've never cut off anyones gear in fact i've gone out of my way to haul floating gear before it DID get cut off, i then had it on my own boat risking getting a ticket for to much gear on board so i could post it on here or call the owners. I'm done with you, don't spread lies about me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I'm not about to screw over someone (or a business) just because I could get away with it or because they don't know what they're doing. If I walk into a business and agree to buy something, then I agree to buy it at the price it's supposed to be unless they voluntarily give me a discount. I really don't care if the cashier knows anything about what they sell. That's the job of the sales people. I just thought the mono vs. braid thing was amusing. But hey, I'm a guy who tells a cashier when I'm given too much change back.
    Couldn't agree with both of you more. I took that statement the same way and someone even suggesting it in jest is in pretty poor form. I've bought stuff at the Gear Shed here in Homer that the cashier has asked me what exactly it was and I sure didn't tell them it was some POS something that I know is really cheap.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Steve,

Maybe I've simply misinterpreted what you've written in the past. Since three-letter words (like cut) are too short to use as a search term, I'll freely admit that I can't readily find where you said you would cut the lines. While I continue looking, maybe you can explain how you meant these quotes to be understood? They may not mention cutting, but they clearly reference interfering with other people's gear.

BIG HAULER, BIG ROPE, HEAVY POTS and fish right over them !! I don't have time to mess with other peoples gear, if they ain't there tend'in it i'll just fish over them...
    Rod,
    ...The problem with pot buoys is most times you don't see them till its too late ... so guess what the buoys got to go, i'm not going to ruin my net & lose valuable fishing time for a shrimp pot ...

Long time lurker here-I have never seen Steve post anything but the most helpful info here.

Quote Originally Posted by whalebreath View Post
    Long time lurker here-I have never seen Steve post anything but the most helpful info here.
    Yeah, now THERE'S some "helpful info" for you.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

No shame on them, they need to hire people that give a s*it about what they are doing, its called being professional about your job or lets take it a step down and just have a bit of pride/knowledge in whatever your job is. If i ran my business like that how long do you think i'd be in business ? Remember one aw sh%t takes a 100 attaboys away !!
    When you advocate stealing from someone who is ignorant (meaning lacking knowledge, not stupid), then you are perceived as an individual who is dishonest, unprofessional and having low character. You've just told me that I can't trust doing business with you.
    While that may or may not be true, a perceived problem is still a problem. To use your own words "Remember one aw sh%t takes a 100 attaboys away !!"

I'd rather deal with an honest individual who is uninformed.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.