Thread: sportsmans put oil on my brand new line, need advice asap!

Default sportsmans put oil on my brand new line, need advice asap!

so i got a new reel today and had sportsmans spool it up with some new line, i went and did some shopping and came back to pick it up. the kid told me he put oil on my line to help it keep its memory. i always thought that oil on your line was a bad thing. im trying to go fishing tomorrow so i need to know if i should rip this line off or if the oil wont hurt me. please help!

Have never heard of such a thing; sounds bogus to me. Wouldn't want oil on my mono, and think I'd a had a chat with the kids manager before I left the store. Have always loaded my own tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Never heard of anyone doing that and why would you want to keep it's memory? I'd make them give you your money back than stop in to see mike in the morning at 3 rivers fly shop. He can help you.

yeah, i was kinda baffled when he told me. i should have said something then, a little late now. im gonna respool it myself.
    ive never had it before and done just fine

Doesn't surprise me, they are pretty good at giving bad advice...

I didnt happen to be snake oil did it?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by PPR View Post
    the kid told me he put oil on my line to help it keep its memory
    Every parade has a guy in a clown suit following the horses with a shovel and a bucket.

Sportsman's really needs to hire one to follow that kid around.

use another reel if you have one then go back to SW and make them strip off oiled line and respool with new. Whatever you do don't let the sh*thead get away with it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Actually treating mono with oil is a manufacturing technique used to give the line certain charteristic such as, softening, water repellent, abrasion resistance depending on the type of oil used....It doesnt work by just putting it on your lone when you spool it. And it would allow you line to loos its memory....At best all it will do now is , make a mess..

I don't let them so much as take anything out of the box without me being right there watching them. I had rifle rings improperly installed by there in 2007 and that was enough for me to make up my mind! They did pay for Stan Jackson to look the rifle over and chase the threads out at least. In the end it worked out but I will do my own work or take it to someone who I trust to treat it the way I would!

Quote Originally Posted by bifisheman View Post
    Actually treating mono with oil is a manufacturing technique used to give the line certain charteristic such as, softening, water repellent, abrasion resistance depending on the type of oil used....It doesnt work by just putting it on your lone when you spool it. And it would allow you line to loos its memory....At best all it will do now is , make a mess..
    I bet they are real specific on the "oil" they use too. Shovel time for the kid.

It will be nice to have a choice to go to in a couple years when Cabela's opens in Anchorage.

Just cause cabelas opens doesnt mean the workers will get any better

Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    Just cause cabelas opens doesnt mean the workers will get any better
    True, but Cabela's opening will bring competition to the market place. Problem today is Sportmans is the only "big box" outdoor store here. The small local shops have loyal followings because they give good advice and have vested interest in customer service.

The same people currently working at SW will just end up applying for and getting jobs at Cabelas. Just because a new store comes in doesn't mean things will be any different there. Except for upper level management, Cabelas will be hiring from the local labor pool just like every other business in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    The same people currently working at SW will just end up applying for and getting jobs at Cabelas. Just because a new store comes in doesn't mean things will be any different there. Except for upper level management, Cabelas will be hiring from the local labor pool just like every other business in the area.
    My guess is they will be some of the same people working as I don't see Sportsman W making it long after the big C gets here.
    Already heard of many that don't go there any more.

Reminds of when I dropped off a Shimano baitcasting reel to have new line spooled on it at one the now out of business G.I. Joe's outdoor stores in Oregon. When I returned to the counter for pick-up, the kid apologizes for damaging my reel by installing it backwards in the line loader and running the machine. Wore a major groove in the thumb rest. I demanded to speak with the manager. Told him my reel was ruined and I wanted it replaced. He said no can do. Ended up with free line on the reel and a $10 gift card.

Good help help can be hard to find whether in Anchorage or the Lower 48. The worst experience up here was when I bought a canopy for my new truck. Several weeks after it was installed, a co-worker happened to follow my vehicle after we departed the office about the same time. Next day he mentions noticing that the canopy brake light was on the whole time and other problems. I go back to the vendor to get it checked out and the owner couldn't believe that one of his guys would do such a shoddy wiring job. Got it fix free of charge, but certainly an inconvenience.

I spray my reals/line with wd40 daily, on reels that catch gobs of fish all summer long mooching. (toughest application for reels) Oil is the only way to fly unless you like reels failing on a regular basis.