Thread: Wildrose Lodge and Charters

Default Wildrose Lodge and Charters

Has anyone had any experience with Wildrose Charters? Thinking about booking a halibut trip with them in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Krosan View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Wildrose Charters? Thinking about booking a halibut trip with them in August.
    I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. One thing that I find interesting is that they don't have any pictures of fish they have caught in any recent YEARS. I know I don't always post pictures for a few DAYS sometimes, but I'd wonder about that. Of course some people might consider that a tiresome generalization, but I find that the vast majority of people I take out really like the fact that I post pictures of my most recent catches (big or small) every few days. Some people might not feel it's very important, but it is to me and a lot of my clients.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

go with a larger charter company that way if one boat is broken you will get out with a different boat , the large charters all work together to a point , PS a 6 pk will get you into a better chance of fish as the boat only needs a 12 fish where a larger boat need's many more the bigger the boat the better [longer] it gets out in a little ruffer weather than a 20 FT er not uncomon to cansel out for weather when you go out of Homer in Augest

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    go with a larger charter company that way if one boat is broken you will get out with a different boat , the large charters all work together to a point , PS a 6 pk will get you into a better chance of fish as the boat only needs a 12 fish where a larger boat need's many more the bigger the boat the better [longer] it gets out in a little ruffer weather than a 20 FT er not uncomon to cansel out for weather when you go out of Homer in Augest
    Some of your statements are a little off base. I have a 26 ft. boat (I personally don't know of any charter company in Homer that runs 20 ft. boats) and in 3 years of chartering I've never canceled a trip because of bad weather. There are places a boat can go to get out of bad seas and still catch fish. Some of the "larger" charter companies with larger boats than mine will just cancel your trip than go to some of those "get out of big seas" spots.

Also, in 3 years I've never cancelled a trip because of a "broken boat" and I'm an independent operator with just one boat. I'd be a bit wary of a charter operation that tells you they have to cancel your trip because their boat is broken. Yeah, it happens, and I pray it won't happen to me, but it's pretty unusual. I certainly wouldn't pick a "larger" operator just because they have more boats. If they do have more than one boat chances are the other boats are going to be full the day you were supposed to go out on their "broken" boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    One thing that I find interesting is that they don't have any pictures of fish they have caught in any recent YEARS.
    There's a dozen pictures from 2011 on the main page, I don't have the time to update the webpage during the season, heck I only got 2 days off in July and I used those for maintenance and honey do's.
    In over 10 years of chartering I also have never cancelled for a broken boat, I have cancelled for weather, my clients either wanted big fish or did not want to fish in big seas.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    There's a dozen pictures from 2011 on the main page, I don't have the time to update the webpage during the season, heck I only got 2 days off in July and I used those for maintenance and honey do's.
    In over 10 years of chartering I also have never cancelled for a broken boat, I have cancelled for weather, my clients either wanted big fish or did not want to fish in big seas.
    I see nothing wrong with an owner operator hashing out a living. Their butt is on the line every day and won't do anything to endanger their rig. I plan on going out with Frank in a week or so if the weather permits.

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    Just thought it was interesting, so don't take it too personally. I have a lot of clients that tell me one of the big reasons they chose me is because I DO update my webpage at least once or twice a week. They seem to appreciate the fact that I DO take the time to let people know what's going on at any given time. But that's just me.

The reason I said what I did is because I went to your website (and just did again) and never got down as far as where the 2011 pics are posted. I saw the link in the left column that says, "Photo Gallery 2011" and when you click on that link it brings you to a page that only has a headline that says, "2009 Season" and then "2005", "2004" and "2003" underneath the seemingly "2009" pics. Nothing about "2011" other than the fact that the link says it should be 2011 pics. I suppose most people wouldn't notice that, but it used to be my job to notice things like that (graphic artist/webmaster at UAA for way too many years!).

Yeah, I only had 3 days off in July and I try to at least update my webpage a couple of times a week. Believe me, I'd rather be sleeping right now, but to me it's important to keep upcoming and potential clients informed about what's going on out there. And the clients I've taken out love seeing their pics on the web, too.