Thread: Pike Flies

Default Pike Flies

Im starting to tie up some flies for a Sept. Koyokuk Float. What would you tie for pike and shee fish?

Pike would go with big black leeches or a big 4in chartruese bait fish pattern as for Sheefish a flashy baitfish pattern
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

White/red bunny streamers kill it! They kinda look like a red devil.

Chartreuse bunny streamers for sheefish.

Thanks you guys. That should keep me busy for a while. Mouse patterns will be in the mix as well.

drifter: that chartruese colored is a killer ive used some close only close not that bad as* and slay pike and im a huge pike fisher but that my friend looks perfect! and i must say if you've never fly fished pike you'r missing out and i found for me it is by far the most productive other then the bow in waters you see lots of pike, you get good at a bow when you try to shoot fish in the water might start a bow fish thread in bow section if isn't one "winters here time to tie" email me some of them bad boys drifter or the dye!! lol. did you buy in color or dye it?

I tie a bit "brighter" for pike than I do for muskies. Not sure why, other than it's just that in the boat I usually reach for alot of firetiger and white, chartruese, yellow when pike fishing. Muskies, I'm throwing something with black in it 90% of the time, and tend to stay more subdued. Again, maybe it's just the water I fish, but it's done me well.

I also tie larger than many guys do, especially for pike. I carry smaller and single hook flies, but by and far I usually cast tandem or triple hook flies.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    drifter: that chartruese colored is a killer ive used some close only close not that bad as* and slay pike and im a huge pike fisher but that my friend looks perfect! and i must say if you've never fly fished pike you'r missing out and i found for me it is by far the most productive other then the bow in waters you see lots of pike, you get good at a bow when you try to shoot fish in the water might start a bow fish thread in bow section if isn't one "winters here time to tie" email me some of them bad boys drifter or the dye!! lol. did you buy in color or dye it?
    That chartreuse fly has caught my all time biggest pike.
    Fly fishing for pike is a blast!!!!

That is an incredible pike! Last several years I've lived in muskie country where a big pike is a 35". Back in Kodiak, I need to take a trip to the interior and get a decent pike for a change. Nice fat fish!