Thread: Green wood stain???

Default Green wood stain???

Looking for siding stain in the genre of faded greenboard. Anyone used anything similar?

Have noticed green pressure treated lumber develops a nice 'driftwood' sort of shade, nice gray, but still brown and green tones once faded. Wondering if I might be able to get a similar product in bulk.

Anyone had this thought and found such a stain?

Probably not. Most stain manufacturers strive to have a stain that retains it's color for a long time. A store that mixes paints will generally mix stains as well. I know I could easily match the green of green treated, but I couldn't guarantee that it would fade to the aged look of treated wood. BTW, the green tone of the original CCA treated lumber came primarily from the copper in it. They actually add green colorant to the ACQ treated lumber found now. That green doesn't fade like the old CCA did.

Achieving a faded or patina look with a stain is an art that is not easily achieved.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Achieving a faded or patina look with a stain is an art that is not easily achieved.
    Ha, you should come see my deck Doug. I didn't to do anything to get it to fade!

Maybe thin the stain before applying to make it somewhat faded from the start?

I managed to get a few semi transparent stain samples, one of which is fairly close to what I'm looking for. I do not want a faded look, but just subtle hints of green and khaki in a generally grey but not dull color. I found one behr
    stock color at the orange box store that is pretty good. Might seek out another one or two to try from somewhere else, sbs wouldn't give me any samples of their brand and I'm not buying gallons just to try the color. FYI both of the greener shades I tried look way too green for my tastes. the subtle colors don't really come through but here
    is the best match I've found so far.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344195621.905112.jpg

Good point about newer pressure treated wood being deliberately dyed, though in my experience that stuff fades also after a couple of years in the damp and sun, just maybe not as fast?

Anyone used behr semi transparent stains or other brands that would recommend yay or nay?

I'm not seeing the green. In the pic above, that's pretty much like what a semi-transparent looks like.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Andweav

Here is a product I have never use but might be what your looking for. I seen this add in Mother earth News magazine.

http://valhalco.com/

Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only