Thread: Can one hire a guide to drop you off on Kenai River Bank ?

Default Can one hire a guide to drop you off on Kenai River Bank ?

I would like to be dropped off in a more isolated area of the Kenai to fish. Can one hire a guide to do this and leave the group there to fish several hours and then come back and pick them up later? Does anyone know the approximate cost if this is available? Also can one rent boats with a motor to take out and fish the banks or the river which are more isolated ? I just was interested because a friend took us down on just a boat ride in the Kenai, and I saw several fishermen with boats tied up to the side of the river banks and onto a rocky bar in areas that were down river from Sterling which were away from the crouds of fishermen.

Thanks again for your help

you can rent rafts from alaska raft and kayak out of anchorage or contact richard @ blue moose rafting in north pole. no motors are aloud on the upper river

Some guide services do drop offs. Last I checked it was around 100 bucks depending on how far you wanted to go and the guide service as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Max at Alaska Canoe in Sterling will rent you a drift boat. He will also provide drop-off and pick-up services, depending... He is the moderator on the Canoe forum and I believe a Sponsor. Call him.

Downriver from the Moose I believe all the riverbanks are privately owned. Just sayin'...

I saw a Lund boat with a Hoda motor for rent on the spur hwy alongside 4D carpet business. Turn right after Fred Meyer as your heading to Kenai. Lot the boat is on about 1/2 mile on left. Be sure to read the reg book as some areas are closed to boat tie up.

Actually it is not legal for any guides on the Kenai to provide drop off services. Kenai river guides are required to be present at all times with paying clients.

Highly recommend Max at Alaska Canoe.

Fishing on the mid was/has been killer. Spent 5 days runnin floats to Dots and limited every day.

Max provided pickups, was nice not having to break down the raft. Max also offered the use of his place to clean fish. Awesome tables, fresh water, cutting boards, prep boards, good mating to filet on.

Not gonna share what it cost me to fillet, vacuum pack (commercial grade) and freeze all my fish, but it was well worth it
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thank you for the replies. I was not aware that guide service had to be present while one fished if you were transported somewhere by a guide. Are there not some places where guides drop you off by float plane and leave you alone for days to fish or hunt? Maybe some one who has a boat, who is not a guide might be able to drop us off on the river. I am aware that the land is privatly owned, but if one stays in the river or even on rocks in the river just off the banks, am I correct that this is legal as long as one doesn't go upon the bank side. Also I see a lot of signs posted with arrows in both directions that make it illegal to fish because of bank erosion problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gitdown View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I was not aware that guide service had to be present while one fished if you were transported somewhere by a guide. Are there not some places where guides drop you off by float plane and leave you alone for days to fish or hunt? Maybe some one who has a boat, who is not a guide might be able to drop us off on the river. I am aware that the land is privatly owned, but if one stays in the river or even on rocks in the river just off the banks, am I correct that this is legal as long as one doesn't go upon the bank side. Also I see a lot of signs posted with arrows in both directions that make it illegal to fish because of bank erosion problems.
    Some places with bank closure make it illegal to fish withing 10 feet of shore. Best to check the regs to make sure exactly what is open and what is not. It can get a little confusing especially if you arent familiar with the area but do your best and have fun.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.