Thread: 1st Week of September Kenai Guide Recommendation

Default 1st Week of September Kenai Guide Recommendation

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a salmon guide in the Kenai (or surrounding) area. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to make this fishing trip amazing since I rarely get to come to Alaska. Thanks for all the help!

It really depends on what you want to catch? Saltwater or fresh? Power boat or drift boat? If fresh water do you want to fish for trout, silvers or both? Do you want to keep some meat? More specifics and I am sure you will get some great suggestions.

I was thinking we would do a half day or full day trip on September 2 or 3. I was thinking we would mostly target silvers since the people I am fishing with are not experienced fly fishermen. A power boat sounds like it might be better but I am open to a drift boat if the fishing is great. We do plan on bringing some meat home. I hope this clarification helps.

I like following this blog: http://beavercreekcabins.blogspot.com/

Keith seems to be able to catch the silvers on the Kenai ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by nubass View Post
    I was thinking we would do a half day or full day trip on September 2 or 3. I was thinking we would mostly target silvers since the people I am fishing with are not experienced fly fishermen. A power boat sounds like it might be better but I am open to a drift boat if the fishing is great. We do plan on bringing some meat home. I hope this clarification helps.
    First week of September can be kind of an odd week for Silvers on the mainstem Kenai. It seems to kind of fall right between the first and second runs. Whichever guide you choose, make sure it is one who has the ability to move around based on fish activity. Chances are that the fishing will be better in one part of the river than another so be sure that your guide is willing to go where the fish are and not just where they always fish.

I have never fished with them but have communicated several times with Jimmie Jack of Jimmy Jack Fishing and he has been great to talk to. He sounds like he really knows his stuff and communicates very will which is important. Based on our conversations he is who I would use if I was booking a charter there.

http://www.alaskafishon.com/dayprices/index.html

I am sure that just about all guides working that river are good, but I have only used 1. I had a great experience the first, second and third times I used him. No reason to move on if I'm happy. Everybody limited out every time except 1 day of Kings where I caught one but my wife did not. Gary can put you on silvers early, probably limit out in half a day without much trouble. We used his guide Bill a couple of times too-put us right on the fish!! never went home without!!