Thread: giardia in dogs

Supporting Member

Default giardia in dogs

Wasn't sure where to put this, so please move if this isn't the best spot....

Went to a lake cabin a few weeks ago with the dogs. Fast-forward to last week. Getting ready to board the dogs, so had the vet do fecal samples on both. Got a call from the vet yesterday saying my male dog has giardia.

I remember seeing the dog drink out of the lake while we were there and I also saw beaver swimming in the lake....never thought that dogs could get giardia. No symptoms (thank goodness) but will stop by the vet's today to get medicine.

The vet said the giardia is transmittable to humans through the dog poop so be sure to wash hands, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to let folks know....

Yep, heard of it, and seen a lab with it. He had the runs pretty bad, and was on medication to control it. Dogs can eat and drink a lot of stuff we couldn't but they aren't completely bullet proof. Good reminder/heads up!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Of all the years I have been here and having dogs the entire time, none of them ever showed signs of Giardia and they all drank water from sources that I am sure contained the organism. I am not saying they never contracted it, just saying that none seem affected by it, trying to monitor and control what a dog eats and drinks is beyond our ability unless they are tied up at all times.

I enjoy allowing my dogs to be dogs when outside, they need recreation just like the rest of us.

brhrdr , did your dog exhibit any symptoms that you recognized, is that what led to the sampling, or did you just do it as a matter of course ?

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    brhrdr , did your dog exhibit any symptoms that you recognized, is that what led to the sampling, or did you just do it as a matter of course ?
    It was just a fluke that I'd decided to get the fecal sampling....the boarding place wouldn't accept dogs without it. My dog had no symptoms at all...that's why I was so surprised.

Here are a few articles about giardia:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m/bc/21300.htm

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...s#.UBgNs6Ciag4

http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/zoono...l/giardia.html

I've had several dogs contract giardia over the years and it can be bad & tough to clear up. Slimy, stinky diarrhea & vomit, weight loss, etc. Have treated it with Metronidazole (Flagyl) and/or Fenbendazole (Panacur) with mixed results. Although commonly known as "beaver fever" my vet says it can come from various sources & not always where beaver are. Know people who've had it too. It's nasty stuff!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by brhrdr View Post
    It was just a fluke that I'd decided to get the fecal sampling....the boarding place wouldn't accept dogs without it. My dog had no symptoms at all...that's why I was so surprised.
    Good policy on the part of the boarder.