Thread: Place to Shoot in Eagle River

Default Place to Shoot in Eagle River

I'm new to Eagle River, and was wondering if there is a rifle range or a good place to zero rifles and or do some plinking?

Default Birchwood

Birchwood shooting range behind the Birchwood airport.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Birchwood is $10.00 a day when open to the public, and 175.00 yearly for an EPM. (Exclusive Park Member) With that you can go on days that are not open to the public, and the hours are longer for you.

There is the Rabbit Creek Range, ran by the State of Alaska down near Anchorage.

Check'em both out and make your choice.
    Smitty of the North

Default I'll check it out

Thanks for the info, I'll definately have to check them out. Can a guy go plinking anywhere in the woods, or is there laws against that?

The Muni of Anchorage border extends way out, so you could get yourself into a bind.
    There are several old places where people used to go out and plink, but lots of them have been ruined by idiots who chucked bullets all over the place and who trashed the areas by bringing out old TVs and microwaves to shoot up.
    The same thing happend out in the valley. Too many knuckle heads trashing out old gravel pits. So people started to block them off.

The Birchwood range is VERY nice. They have multiple ranges, a snack shack and all sorts of goodies. If you are in Eagle River already it would be a shorter drive to that range than to any other place in the woods that might be legal for your area.

Plus there are a bunch of nice folks who also shoot at Birchwood. Visit with a few of them and you might end up shooting Cowboy Competition or Sporting Clays within a few months.

If you were military, res, guard or retired, you could obtain access to the off duty range on Ft Rich. Although we found that the paperwork, sign in and military BS sometimes made driving to Birchwood preferable.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I almost always shoot at Birchwood. The range is great, full of friendly people, and the range employees are great people too.

There are places outside of Anchorage to shoot, Knik for example, but I do not recommend it. The area is already loaded with people who shoot across trails, shoot without backdrops, dump tv's fridges etc etc to shoot and leave. Frankly, it's horrible. It makes gun owners look bad and it is very dangerous. I have heard bullets zing by me while fishing. Yah, those confrontations did not go so well.

You can shoot safely in areas outside of Anchorage but just make sure you have a good backdrop, you haul out your target, and keep an eye out for anyone else in the area. Too many people shoot in areas with a high amount of traffic. I am surprised no one has been hurt as of yet.

Even though I live in Eagle River, I shoot at the Rabbit Creek range on the South end of Anchorage. $7 a day or $50 for a year pass. The downside is the rifle range is only 100 yds. But since I work in Anchortown, I can shoot during lunch.

Default Do not "just plink anywhere in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'll definately have to check them out. Can a guy go plinking anywhere in the woods, or is there laws against that?
    There are ranges for that purpose close by. If you simply go "out in the woods" in Eagle River, there is a really good chance police will be called.

Talking

Well Big Sweed ya aint in "Santa " anymore . Pay to shoot ? Arg ! I think I will go look for a Turkey Bird to shoot .

My .02 cents
    I live across the river from Jim creek. Please don't travel up here to shoot! The folks over there in large part are not practicing anything they just like too go bang, and they pay no attention at all to safety. I and several of my neighbors have had strays hit our house or outbuildings.

Personally I like the birch wood range and can be found there often. Nice facility decent folks and a 300 yard range! It would be a short hop from Eagle river.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    My .02 cents
    I live across the river from Jim creek. Please don't travel up here to shoot! The folks over there in large part are not practicing anything they just like too go bang, and they pay no attention at all to safety. I and several of my neighbors have had strays hit our house or outbuildings.
    There are plenty of people who shoot responsibly and within the law at Jim Creek. Maybe if more responsible citizens stayed after dark, the outlaws would stay away.