Thread: Zodiak

Default Zodiak

I am in the market for a boat when I get back from this deployment, and been cruising craigslist pretty regular. I have seen several nice boats and alot of zodiaks. Does anybody use these to duck hunt with? I am not really thinking of using it like a boat blind, more for just travel. Thoughts?

They are used by some folks that only want one boat. With a jet you can get down into the Hayflats and leave the boat in the mud while walking in to hunt. However, with an outboard you will be severly restricted in where you can get the boat into. Water is just too shallow.

In the Jim Creek area you will have a hard time using an inflatable these days. Its just too shallow in the lakes. You could use it in Jim Lake and then cross over into the creek on the canoe portage and get farther into the marshes, but you would have to hunt from shore. That is a pretty decent way to get birds back in Swan and leaf as long as they don't set down out in the middle of the lakes.

Thanks ray. I have a pirogue that I supplement whatever boat if it gets to shallow or I need to retrieve birds since I dont have a dog.

I have a zodiac for sale (haven't put it up yet, but am looking to sell it)...I have used it a few times out of homer and whittier for duck hunting. It has a 40hp prop on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have a zodiac for sale (haven't put it up yet, but am looking to sell it)...I have used it a few times out of homer and whittier for duck hunting. It has a 40hp prop on it.
    Thanks fo rthe offer bull, however I wont be back in Alaska for another 2 months. I was really just trying to see what the general opinion was about having zodiak over a flat bottom for duck hunting. If u still have it in a couple months I will look you up if I can talk the wife into it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    They are used by some folks that only want one boat. With a jet you can get down into the Hayflats and leave the boat in the mud while walking in to hunt. However, with an outboard you will be severly restricted in where you can get the boat into. Water is just too shallow.

^^ This depends on what kind of motor is spinning your prop!