Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: First trout rod/reel/lime for adult female

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default First trout rod/reel/lime for adult female

    Hey Guys,

    So my son, girlfriend, and I went out to Tangle lakes last week, and, to m surprise, my girlfriend really liked it. She actually went over to Tangle Lakes Inn and bought her first ever fishing license. Her birthday is in 6 weeks and we're talking about going back up there for that weekend. I'm thinking I might buy her her own rig for her birthday.

    She fished with a POS Zebco 33 on my 7' med Action trigger stick, (a bass rod I brought up from FL and stripped off the bait caster for her and the boy), and she really liked the reel. I'd personally prefer a spinning outfit, but she seemed comfortable with, and had good success with, the spin cast.

    So...what's a good rod reel combo set up for a beginning adult fishing trout in streams? I'd like to buy something US made (I know, probably not possible) and she likes a 2 piece rod (which I despise). I'm thinking about a Light Action 6' minimum rod either as a spinning or spincast. I'm also thinking standard mono line (it's what I grew up with.)

    I'm also looking at around $100-ish although,(unless I can find something US made for a bit more) if there is a good quality combo out there for less, that will let me put some of that toward other gear for her. (Sunglasses, wide brimmed hat, etc.) I don't want to break the bank, but I absolutely don't want junk.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    St Croix makes some nice spinning rods for not too much money. I am happy with mine. If you wan to save some money and not worry about them breaking- just get an Ugly Stick lite and a decent spinning reel. Darn good rod for the money (also great as a back up).
    BEE

  3. #3
    Member barber8605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I would go with a spinning reel for sure and the ugly stick is hard to beat for the money and performance. Then put some good line on it and maybe get her a tackle box and start her out with the basic things she will need to be successful.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I would go with a spinning reel for sure and the ugly stick is hard to beat for the money and performance. Then put some good line on it and maybe get her a tackle box and start her out with the basic things she will need to be successful.
    A spinning reel even though she likes the spincast? I tend to agree with you, but I also don't want to change things up too much on her. Still, it's my impression that there are no decent quality spincasts out there. (I grew up to believe that spincast meant junk.) And yeah, I'm kind of leaning toward an Ugly Stick, too. In fact, there's a $10 rebate right now on any $40 total purcahse of 2 or more Shakespeare products.

  5. #5
    Member barber8605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    (I grew up to believe that spincast meant junk.)
    I feel the same way growing up in Florida I always used a spinning reel. The only place I feel a spincast has a place is on a snoopy or barbie pole but for real fishing they dont stand a chance in my book. I think if you get her a cheap spincast you will be getting her a spinning rod shortly afterwards or even a baitcaster. IMO stick with the ugly stick w/spinning reel she will get used to it.

  6. #6
    Member etdvm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Texas/Skwentna
    Posts
    191

    Default

    +1 on the Ugly Stik

    As inexpensive as they are, get two - one with a spincast, one with a spinning. Just tell her it's a spare for the whole family. She will soon pick up the spinning outfit on her own, and it will be "her" idea, releasing you of all responsibility.

    She will gravitate toward it when she sees the adults on the bank using spinning, and the kiddos using snoopy/barbie spincast.
    Fly fishing makes me herl

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    102

    Default

    +1 on the Ugly Stick recommendations.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subsailor618 View Post
    +1 on the Ugly Stick recommendations.
    You know, those have a bad reputation back home, but I can really see their utility up here. I may, indeed, buy two. That would be my first ever two piece rod. (Well, not mine, per se, but you get the idea.)

  9. #9
    Member barber8605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You know, those have a bad reputation back home, but I can really see their utility up here. I may, indeed, buy two. That would be my first ever two piece rod. (Well, not mine, per se, but you get the idea.)
    The first and only one that I own is a Pro Ice rod and havent even used it yet but a lot of people like them up here.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    The first and only one that I own is a Pro Ice rod and havent even used it yet but a lot of people like them up here.
    Yeah, other than being able to stuff it in a car trunk or the tail of a plane, I can't see why Alaskans love 2 pc rods; it's all Fred Meyers and Mal Warts carry. I was in Sportsman's in May, and when asked for a 1 pc rod, the guy thought I had a third eye.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Diawa makes some nice quality spincast reels. Not the made in USA you are looking for but good reels.

  12. #12
    Member barber8605's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Yeah, other than being able to stuff it in a car trunk or the tail of a plane, I can't see why Alaskans love 2 pc rods; it's all Fred Meyers and Mal Warts carry. I was in Sportsman's in May, and when asked for a 1 pc rod, the guy thought I had a third eye.
    I thought you were talking about Ugly Stik in general. Thats weird they dont have one pieces up there never looked though.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I thought you were talking about Ugly Stik in general. Thats weird they dont have one pieces up there never looked though.
    I was talking about the ugly stick in general...and also two piece rods in general.

    But I'm willing to give it a try.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Diawa makes some nice quality spincast reels. Not the made in USA you are looking for but good reels.
    Indeed, they do. I have some ANCIENT (30 yrs old) Daiwa baitcasters of my Dad's....still work well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •