Thread: Favorite rangefinder?

Default Favorite rangefinder?

Looking at the various options. Curious which ones work well, hold up and are convenient for general Alaska rifle hunting? Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell? 500yd vs 1000yd on real targets like caribou, moose & bear?

Thanks.

Eric

I asked the same question severl years ago. I purchased a Leupold, never have used it yet in a hunting situation in Alaska. I may have more of a need if I were hunting Elk or Mule deer out west, or sheep in AK, now I rarely carry it at on my trips.

I have used Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold and all failed to perform in Alaska. I bought a Leica CRF 1200 and it has served me well for several years and I would highly recommend it. I did upgraded this year to a Swarovski EL Range 10x42 Laser Rangefinder Binocular combo this fall and will be using that this year.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Really love my Opti-logic Micro II. It is extremely small and light, has angle compensation (which was pioneered by them long before others achieved it), red LED readout which you can even use when light is minimal, locks on quickly, is waterproof, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Looking at the various options. Curious which ones work well, hold up and are convenient for general Alaska rifle hunting? Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell? 500yd vs 1000yd on real targets like caribou, moose & bear?

Thanks.

Eric
    I've used numerous rangefinders in AK with much success. I presently own a Zeiss Victory that I'm completely satisfied with its service. I've ranged bears, moose and caribou in all weathers and at ranges to 1100+ yards without any problems. I've also used various Leica RF with similar success. Among the better RFs their ergonomics mean as much as their capabilities IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have used Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold and all failed to perform in Alaska. I bought a Leica CRF 1200 and it has served me well for several years and I would highly recommend it.
    +1 Ditto, Take all your choices and try them side by side on a moving non-reflective target. Leica WORKS ! They also fit in your shirt pocket, and have only one button to operate, it does on/off and range.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have found that Bushnell and Leupold are pretty much junk for rangefinders. They work at close range, but other than a bowhunter, who needs a rangefinder at close range? My Leica does it all.

+1 for the Leica.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Leica all the way!

I have tried models from bushnell and leopold. The bushnell went through a lot of batteries and the model I used did not have an illuminated display. Bought the leopold for the more compact size and illuminated display. I've used it many times and its working using its original set of batteries. Last fall on a moose hunt, it did not give a reading for two days on the hunt (possible condensation/cold issues). It's been given readings again, and I haven't had anymore issues with it.

I've thought about getting the Leica model next.

If you're not bowhunting forget the cheap leupold/nikon/bushnell class of rangefinders and go with a leica 1200 swaro, or the leupold RX-1000. I have a cheaper leupold and it works great on close range but get past 300 yards and you'll have trouble ranging anything other than stop signs in field/hunting conditions. Since those are it's limitations I've designated it to stay with my bow. I've used both the leica and higher grade leupold and found them to both be adequate at ranging at a distance. That being said I'll purchase the leica 1200 when I get enough pennies saved up.

I have used a Nikon and it did not work well. Now have a Lieca and it is near perfect. J.