Thread: bird creek moose or any other options

Default bird creek moose or any other options

I have two non resident friends that want to hunt moose. I am thinking we could hunt bird creek if we rent horses. has anyone hunted in there? If not there we are open to flying somewhere its just really hard to find a flight service the two friends are older 65-70 and are very experienced moose hunters we used to hunt 13 but they no longer are residents for one its possibly his last hunt. Any help is appreciated this just came up as an opportunity for them. Thanks

I wouldnt take my own horse up bird creek much less a rented horse. If you do settle on a price up front. (For the Horse).

Once the ATV trails end, Bird Creek gets mighty rough for horses. I've never seen anybody on horses back in there.

More importantly, I have spent quite a good deal of time back in Bird Creek and have been surprised by how little moose sign there is. In fact, even after a couple of dozen forays back that way, I have never seen a moose back there. You have better odds of finding critters if you head out to the Valley and either hunt the flats, the Knik river Valley, or KGB.

One more consideration. Because Bird Creek is in Chugach State Park, you can't have a fire unless it is on a gravel bar in the river or in a fire pan you have to pick up from the state. And yes, the area is patroled frequently.

[QUOTE=AK_Kid;1152751]Once the ATV trails end, Bird Creek gets mighty rough for horses. I've never seen anybody on horses back in there.[QUOTE]

Near the end of the ATV trail, if you cross the creek, the trail continues up the valley - not sure how far, but when I was there a few years ago, it had seen some horse traffic. I have seen moose back there, but you will see a lot more bears (black & brown) than moose.

Believe I'd take the short and scenic drive to a nearby unit with easier access, more moose, and fewer bears.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Default Transporter out of Palmer

The only horses I have seen up bird creek is the transporter from Palmer who hauls a few sheep hunters in there.