Thread: Lake Louise Quackers?

Default Lake Louise Quackers?

Hey guys,

First time poster on the waterfowl forum, and was wanting to know some info on lake louise. Has anybody duckhunted it, or have any info on where to hunt ducks on that lake. I am going to be up there for Labor Day Weekend, and thought bring my duck gun and sneek off to shoot some feathery friends. Any info would be great, i have been there in the spring/summer season and kind of know the lake. I have seen lots of ducks out there and figured i shouldnt waste my time while i was out there. thanks for any info

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I have seen lots of ducks out there ......
    Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll see you there come september.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll see you there come september.

I'll be there, too, along with 50 of my closest friends!

Alright, so this was not the best forum to post this question. Lake louise is not a secret to anybody, so i was hoping to get some info. I will go back to the hunting forum and talk to some non-secret squirel people. If the only two replies i get are talking about lake louise, and that you are going to be there, then i will move on....thanks for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Alright, so this was not the best forum to post this question. Lake louise is not a secret to anybody, so i was hoping to get some info. I will go back to the hunting forum and talk to some non-secret squirel people. If the only two replies i get are talking about lake louise, and that you are going to be there, then i will move on....thanks for nothing

Hahaha, relax, bud! Just saying that people will be all over it the minute you say it has birds. I don't know anything about it, but I don't think a quick scouting trip could hurt...

Dude never hunted it but have defiantly thought of it. Really only one way to find out but I was figuring if I ever went up there and decided to teach those ducks a lesson I would bring mag decoys and a loud call (but not to over call with). Its a big lake and I think the challenge would be in just letting the ducks know where your decoys are. Maby a mojo while you are jerk rigging the deks also. Setting up on an island might help with visibility also. If it was me I'd send a hook baited up with some herring out there and try a knock out a laker at the same time. Because of where it's at and what it's by I'm sure you will have an opportunity at some of the cooler ducks as well. Good luck.

Yeah and as far as naming spots go that's taboo (see post; "need to know how to get to super secret spot"). Still good luck.

Lake Louise is a very large lake and there are tons of other lakes around that hold birds. I hunted some other water near Lake Louise and it can be sparse. Trick is to get the birds to move. Wind usually helps, but that is not a time to be on Lake Louise. My plan would just bring your duck hunting gear just in case and find "ducky" spots and give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is you don't shoot any ducks...been there myself.

I just spent a day up there checking things out. 20mph wind turned Louise into a no go zone leaving us stuck for the night till 6am this morning. Wind made Susitna a little interesting in a 1655 river boat as well yesterday. I won't be going back for bou any time soon.

The duck report: three hen mallards with ducklings from Louise to Tyone. One family of smaller ducks in Tyone. lots of grebes and a few mergs. One large loon family.

Louise has very little cover for puddlers. there are small bays and what not with grass, but the water is way too open for most ducks. tyone has some potential but due to the grass and lillies I didn't go too far back in due to having a jet. Prop would be safer back there or a surface drive weedless mud motor.

Around Louise there might be a huge number of ducks in the smaller ponds and lakes. They would be very hard to hunt due to all that habitat.

Loons? O - they taste like chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Loons? O - they taste like chicken!
    Really, I think it's more like a cross between Bald Eagle and Spoted Owl

If you can run up some of the shallow creeks that run into Louise or Susitna(hint: that connects to smaller lakes), you will find excellent habitat, and superb hunting. Just gotta put your time in. Don't PM me about hunting locations, I don't cater to those who pander for locations........discover your own Alaska......you will get ducks.

Don't leave mid day, get off the water early in the morning before things turn to an ocean. I've only had water over my bow once, and that was on Susitna. 3.5ft-4ft. waves are common when it's nasty.