Thread: Deshka

Default Deshka

Went to the Deshka today fished for about 2.5 hours four of us ended up getting 5 silvers and 2 pinks.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

nice....sounds like they are in?

Not according to the weir. Maybe they are holding in the lower river. I was considering giving it a shot this weekend but I may go to the Kenai instead and try to hit the lower river for silvers and the middle for some reds.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

they might be waiting for the rain! They don't like skinny water. By the way is it still 6 to midnight out there? I can't remember if it changes once the kings close.

Six to midnight is only for kings there was a good number of fish at the mouth
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

went today in afternoon for 5 hours, 5 silvers and 2 pinks great weather....

I'm gonna try this weekend cause I stinks I smell them fellars

Went out yesterday. There are a lot of fish milling around but getting them to bite is a trick. We got a few nice coho early on but once the sun was up it died down. We found a spot where they were holding and we could sight cast to them but they would just tap the lure real quick and dart off. Hooked several but just couldnt keep em on it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

the CindyLou will be out this weekend trying to trick a few into the boat...
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Went to the Deshka today fished for about 2.5 hours four of us ended up getting 5 silvers and 2 pinks.
    im fixing my boat up,.. ive been fishing the little su from the bank and limiting on silvers and now they closed it down i think their weir may be screwed up

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    im fixing my boat up,.. ive been fishing the little su from the bank and limiting on silvers and now they closed it down i think their weir may be screwed up
    Not at all, they moved the weir down river and Silvers do not seem to like going through it. This was done from pressure put forward on ADF&G after the closure last year. We knew that they would not move through it on the lower river, this was the reason for moving the weir last time. The silvers are holding in the lower river in small numbers 1/10th to 1/20th the normal amount. You can still catch them due to lower water concentrating fish in pockets and a relatively low number of fisherman on the river. This is one of the worst or is the worst silver years I can recall in over 20 years of fishing that river. It needed to be done and is the right thing. Aim your complaints towards the ocean by catch and waste that takes place there.

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    Not at all, they moved the weir down river and Silvers do not seem to like going through it. This was done from pressure put forward on ADF&G after the closure last year. We knew that they would not move through it on the lower river, this was the reason for moving the weir last time. The silvers are holding in the lower river in small numbers 1/10th to 1/20th the normal amount. You can still catch them due to lower water concentrating fish in pockets and a relatively low number of fisherman on the river. This is one of the worst or is the worst silver years I can recall in over 20 years of fishing that river. It needed to be done and is the right thing. Aim your complaints towards the ocean by catch and waste that takes place there.
    ...well put