Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Waders for 9 year old

Default WTB Waders for 9 year old

Anyone out there have a pair of waders in good shape that your kid has grown out of? I'm looking to buy a pair to take my grandson fishing but I know they will only fit him for these last couple months of the season so I'm trying to save a buck or two. Not sure of the exact size but he is an average size 8/9 years old. If they are a little big we'll just double up on socks. PM me if you are interested in making a little more room in the garage. Thanks.
    Tight Lines & Screemin' Reels,

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Anyone out there have a pair of waders in good shape that your kid has grown out of? I'm looking to buy a pair to take my grandson fishing but I know they will only fit him for these last couple months of the season so I'm trying to save a buck or two. Not sure of the exact size but he is an average size 8/9 years old. If they are a little big we'll just double up on socks. PM me if you are interested in making a little more room in the garage. Thanks.
    Hip waders or chest waders?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

You do realize that you can get waders for under $25. If you get them a bit big (extra socks like you said and/or replaceable insoles to take up more space) and he takes care of them, they should last him a couple years.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was looking for either hip or chest waders. Where can you get them for $25.?
    Thanks...

Neoprene "Alaska" waders from Walmart.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Get them at Trustworthy hardware in Soldotna.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Get them at Trustworthy hardware in Soldotna.
    Yup........

Need a size 1 and Wal Mart is out, Sportsman's W.H.-out, Sports Auth.-out... We are going to the upper Kenai and I'm not too keen on driving all the way into Soldotna to Trustworthy's then back to the launch at Sportsman's. I guess it's a bad time of the season to be looking for a pair of waders for kids.

It would have ultimately saved me money if my wife had driven to Soldotna and gotten some basic waders for our 7-year old. Instead, she got some pretty nice non-neoprene chest waders (Simms, I think) and wading shoes. Ended up costing like $150. I was floored.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    It would have ultimately saved me money if my wife had driven to Soldotna and gotten some basic waders for our 7-year old. Instead, she got some pretty nice non-neoprene chest waders (Simms, I think) and wading shoes. Ended up costing like $150. I was floored.
    That's exactly what I am trying to avoid. Maybe for the first time ever we'll be telling my Grandson.. "Come on, Get your shoes wet!" after years of telling all the kids... "Back up. You better nott get your shoes wet". Ha, Ha...

Need a size 1 and Wal Mart is out, Sportsman's W.H.-out, Sports Auth.-out... We are going to the upper Kenai and I'm not too keen on driving all the way into Soldotna to Trustworthy's then back to the launch at Sportsman's. I guess it's a bad time of the season to be looking for a pair of waders for kids.
    Nobody in Soldotna has anything kiddy size.

I ordered brand new ones from OAKI for my 5 yr old nephew and they were delivered to
    my cabin in 3 days. Boot foot camo Neoprenes 80 postpaid. Happy kid catching his own reds pinks and coho... PRICELESS

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks Doc. We're Leaving in 2 days so I guess we are out of luck. I can't find any in Achorage either. As usual I should have thought ahead.

That's exactly what I am trying to avoid. Maybe for the first time ever we'll be telling my Grandson.. "Come on, Get your shoes wet!" after years of telling all the kids... "Back up. You better nott get your shoes wet". Ha, Ha...
    Yeah, I'd go with a pair of knee highs & if he gets his feet wet, it probably won't be the first time, right?
    I'd also pack him a bunch of old sneakers & dry socks, so he wouldn't have cold feet all day.
    Another idea - knee highs. Put his stocking feet in heavy duty garbage bags & tape to his upper thighs, then into the knee highs. Boots will fill with water, but bags will keep them dry & warm. If the boots aren't tight, I'd tape them to his legs too. I'd still take along dry sneaks & socks.

That is exactly the plan we have at this point. Thanks for all the input from everyone. See Ya out on the water...

just a thought, knee high boots then get some cheap rain gear pants and tape the pants cuffs to the ankles of the knee boots.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

+1 to the knee boots, rain gear and tape.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I got a line on a pair from one of our forum members at North Pole sending me down a pair his son grew out of. We didn't have any for yesterday on the Upper Keani but it looks like we'll have some of that fall rainbow fishing.
    By the way, we were very suprised at the low number of fresh reds in the upper Keani yesterday. Lots of fish that had already turned though. None the less it was a great day on the river with 3 generations. My grandson, my son, and myself.

By the way, we were very suprised at the low number of fresh reds in the upper Keani yesterday.
    Whereabouts were you on the upper Kenai?

We were between the Russian (sportsmans) Launch and Jims Landing. We were on the water between 7:30 a.m. and about 2:30-3:00. We saw very few silver bright fish on stringers or in the water. Lots that had already turned red or were too "blushed" to want to take home. We did get a few but thought it would be much better than it was.

We were between the Russian (sportsmans) Launch and Jims Landing. We were on the water between 7:30 a.m. and about 2:30-3:00. We saw very few silver bright fish on stringers or in the water. Lots that had already turned red or were too "blushed" to want to take home. We did get a few but thought it would be much better than it was.
    Yes, I fish up in that "area" about this time every year, and to every 10 fish I catch I may keep one or 2. It's just the way it is. Those fish are not like the early run reds who pretty much make a beeline to the Russian. The late run reds seem to take their time getting up there and have been in fresh water for quite awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast