Thread: 300 RUM power experience

Default 300 RUM power experience

I am about to start load development for a new rifle in 300 RUM. I have more that one rifle in this caliber and have been handloading for this caliber for some time with my go to powder being RL 25 with which I have had fantastic results. The problem is I will be doing back to back hunts with temperatures for the first hunt in the 5 to 35 degree F range and temperatures for the second hunt around 70 to 80 degree F, so temperature stability is a desirable powder characteristic. This is not an especially strong attribute of RL 25. I am looking at in order of preference: Retumbo, H1000 (excellent results for me for 7mm RUM), and US 869. I know there are a number of forum members that shoot this caliber and am soliciting your experience with these powders in 300 RUM. I will be using 180 gr bullets - either Barnes TTSX or Nosler AB. Thanx in advance.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Ya, Retumbo. I shot RL25 with 200g accubonds. It did good at all temperatures but the point of impact was a few inches different in the winter and in the summer. Retumbo loads did not change that much, but still did. I had to rezero in April/May either way. I eventually went away from the 200g bullets and opted for speed with the 168 ttsx. Lights out with Retumbo. Little tiny holes with all 3 RUMS I have owned.

I read some recommendations from the developers of the 338 edge. They suggested H1000 for the best temperature stability. I personally have never used it, so take it for what it's worth.

shphtr - don't overlook Swift Scirocco II's .... accurate as all get out and a bonded core bullet that kills Browns and Grizzlies regularly in 180

I have done some reloading with Scirocco II's - but just had much better luck with TSX/TTSX and AB's.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"