Thread: 300 rum powder question

Default 300 rum powder question

Looking to load some 180 & 200 gr TSX & possibly swift
    I have been using 89 gr RL 25 but the speeds seem kind of low. Does anybody have a good reccomendation or would I be better trying Retumbo?
    Stock remington 700

I would try h-1000 or IMr 7828

Retumbo, Retumbo, Retumbo until proven otherwise. What speeds are you getting with what bullets and loads. RL25 is pretty close to retumbo. I had a RUM that liked RL25 with 200g accubonds, everthing else it shot great with retumbo.

I was using 89 gr with 180 gr TSX & 92gr with 180gr siroccos. I would like to keep these & possibly add a 200 gr TSX as well.
    Don't have the speeds infront of me but will post them later, but from what I recall it was around 3050.
    I just bought a bottle of RL25 last night, so it needs to be replaced with Retumbo is what you suggest?

One of my 300 RUM's is a Borden Rifles Timberline, 26" Hart barrel, with 93 gr. of RL25 it shoots consistent 1" or less 5 shot groups with 180 gr Barnes TTSX at 200yds moving at 3400 fps. Tho safe in this rifle, a more reasonable expectation should be 3250 to 3300 fps for most rifle/barrel lengths. I shot a box of Nosler Custom loaded ammo this morning in 300 RUM from a Blaser with a 25" barrel. The box said 3250 fps ... but they chrongraphed between 3050 to just shy of 3100 fps. These were 180 gr. Nosler AB's. I chrono almost everything I shoot, esp. when working up loads. Regardless of what the manuals/box say, every rifle/barrel combination is different and a certain load with specific brass/primer/barrel length and powder lot should be considered "approximate at best" until verified. "...and that's all I'm goin' to say 'bout that!" Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"