Thread: Vessel grounding in Culross on Sunday?

Default Vessel grounding in Culross on Sunday?

Does anyone have any info on the vessel that flooded and needed to ground itself in Culross passage Sunday afternoon? I was anchored at Coghill with a boat full of passengers too far to be of any assistance. Sounded like a bad situation.

We too were anchored up too far away to be of any assistance, but monitored the radio traffic. Vessel was the "Sea Rover" (28' Albin?). Captain of the "AK4STAR" did a great job assisting the two gentlemen onboard, and vectored them to a small gravel shore in Cochrane Bay near the point. "AK4STAR" took them on board, and was also helped by "Foggy Bottom"(?). At any rate, they made it back safely. I think I heard "AK4STAR" on the radio this a.m. saying he was going to swing by the boat to take a look at how it fared through the night, but no further details. That situation could have turned out a lot worse.

If I learned any lessons from that, I'm committed to beaching my boat on the FIRST AVAILABLE BEACH if I ever have the misfortune of knocking a hole in my hull.

Kudos to the Captain of "AK4STAR" for his great job helping to manage the emergency and mitigate the damage/possible disastrous outcome.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    We too were anchored up too far away to be of any assistance, but monitored the radio traffic. Vessel was the "Sea Rover" (28' Albin?). Captain of the "AK4STAR" did a great job assisting the two gentlemen onboard, and vectored them to a small gravel shore in Cochrane Bay near the point. "AK4STAR" took them on board, and was also helped by "Foggy Bottom"(?). At any rate, they made it back safely. I think I heard "AK4STAR" on the radio this a.m. saying he was going to swing by the boat to take a look at how it fared through the night, but no further details. That situation could have turned out a lot worse.

If I learned any lessons from that, I'm committed to beaching my boat on the FIRST AVAILABLE BEACH if I ever have the misfortune of knocking a hole in my hull.

Kudos to the Captain of "AK4STAR" for his great job helping to manage the emergency and mitigate the damage/possible disastrous outcome.
    Dave, you aren't running "Patches" any more?

That must have happened after we ran through around 1:15pm, we did not see anyone in distress and there were at least 4 other boats ahead of us going north through the passage.

Good to hear all are safe, and kudos to all who assisted !

Nope. Only on a limited basis. Since we got a few dogs, I had to upgrade to a 28' Bayliner "She Wolf" to accomodate the canines' "champagne tastes" :-).