Thread: LaCrosse Hip Waders or Kenetrek Mountain Extremes??

Default LaCrosse Hip Waders or Kenetrek Mountain Extremes??

Hi,
    I'm needing some advise. I'm leaving for the North Slope out of Happy Valley for a Caribou drop hunt in 4 weeks. I'm really limited on weight and am wondering if I can get away with using my Kenetreks with gators and a pair of Wiggy's slip over waders for stream crossings. I've never been on tundra and am not sure if I have to have hip waders just to walk around in. Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

HipBoots

Use Hip Boots.
    For a caribou hunt, use hip boots.
    For a sheep hunt, use those mountain boots.

If it rains and the streams/rivers get higher and wider, you are going to need hip boots.
    It it does not rain and you are doing alot of spot and stalk caribou hunting while they migrate past, and you do not anticipate many water crossings, you can get by without hip boots.

I advise hip boots even for hunting the upper Ivishak. Bring regular boots for camp or mountain use.

HipBoots

Flying out of happy valley I would take both, depends on where you are flying to.... You could end up in the foothills of the Brooks Range then I would want hiking boots, or you may end up in some low line tundra in which case you want the waders... Who ever you are flying with should be able to advise you on what to bring.... Both would be my option, but you said weight was an issue... ditch some of the stuff you dont need and take both pairs of boots... Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by chukarnut View Post
    Hi,
    I'm needing some advise. I'm leaving for the North Slope out of Happy Valley for a Caribou drop hunt in 4 weeks. I'm really limited on weight and am wondering if I can get away with using my Kenetreks with gators and a pair of Wiggy's slip over waders for stream crossings. I've never been on tundra and am not sure if I have to have hip waders just to walk around in. Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

I find that I can cross most braids with my gators, and the ones I can't I use the Wiggy's. I will be using plastics this year and glacier socks, but my Son will be using gators and Wiggy's.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hi,

Thanks
    Will you be landing on floats? If so you'll probably need the waders anyway. Indeed they would be nice to have but I wouldn't go anywhere without my hunting boots. Using your gators and having the Wiggys I would think you'd be fine with the Kenetreks. Of all the caribou hunts I've been on I rarely needed waders. I have the same Kenetreks as you now, but while I was guiding I used Meindls which held up fine on the soggy tundra.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

First I want to thank those who posted. Advise from the people who have actually been there makes a big difference in how I am going to decide what to bring. I think I'm going to go with my Kenetreks and gaiters and the wiggy's for stream crossings. I hope to be posting some great pics of caribou next month. Until then, stay safe.

JK

The sourdough slipper from barneys is the best of both and my kennetreks fit great inside them. I have walked miles in my sourdoughs and they were comfortable enough but they are also able to roll up and don't take up much space if you don't need them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Take fitted LaCrosse rubber boots or hip waders. I use Alpha burly's last year on my sheep hunt and they worked great up and down hills as well as crossing creeks -- albeit not too deep of ones. If you're going into tundra and float hunting, LaCrosse is the way to go.

First I want to thank those who posted. Advise from the people who have actually been there makes a big difference in how I am going to decide what to bring. I think I'm going to go with my Kenetreks and gaiters and the wiggy's for stream crossings. I hope to be posting some great pics of caribou next month. Until then, stay safe.

JK
    I think you'll be happy with that decision....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I will also be flying out of Happy Valley with 70 North on the 24th or 25 of aug. Me and my brother ( alaska resident) will be hunting sheep, grizz, caribou and wolf. We are using PVC healey hansen rainsuit with yellow hazmat rubber slipover booties with traction. Very durable, I have used them on hazmat sites in rocks and metal and very seldom get a hole in them. They are light and cheap. Just bungy them under your rain pants and cross. buy the XXL