Thread: Blacktails Spreading ?

Default Blacktails Spreading ?

Has anyone seen any deer west of the mountains on the kenai peninsula ? or was I just halucinating between Cooper and Sterling ?

It could happen
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

there have always been a few here and there on the peninsula ( at least since they were transplanted). Ive seen them in the Portage area, and two years ago several were hanging around the Sand Lake area of Anchorage near my house.

It's certainly possible. Last year I saw one in Seward on my way to work one morning. The last 5 yrs or so there is always a couple of them hanging around this part of the peninsula...prior to that we never saw them around here. I think they are slowly spreading out...

Red face deer

Spill it dog, what did you see? I drive that road twice a week and see only black bears and moose. If I saw a deer the first thing I would do is think back to what I ate and drank that day....shrooms?
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

And just think about how many more must be around if your seeing even one along a road :P

All i got was a fleeting glimpse of a rear end as it jumped into tke thick stuff, tail up .

Default seen several

I've seen several in the valley near palmer, and about three years ago there where four of them together near sheep mountain. I have a picture of them, otherwise nobody would ever believe me. They would always try to tell me they must have been caribou, until they saw the picture.

So Its Looking More Like I Was Not Seeing "pink Elephants" Then, Thats Great News.
    Grin

Wink

Sober-Check…Others have seen them-check…its looking better and better. Of course there are sometimes its better to forget what you saw cause no one will believe it anyway. You just take it all in, shake your head and say ****...

Last year I saw a weird bird along the beach so I watched it a long time. I told my coworker about it in detail as he is a serious birder. He said by description it sounded like a very rare species. I took him to the spot and all the local bird club staked out the spot and searched the area. They never found the bird and I was left looking like the village idiot...but I swear I watched it for a half an hour. I just wont tell anyone next time.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

No limit or closed season, check!

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    No limit or closed season, check!
    Look again...

Quote Originally Posted by State of Alaska hunting regulation booklet: page 7
    Hunting seasons and bag limits for big game are listed by unit on pages 34-107 of this book. ... Look up the species that you want to hunt, check for an open season, and if it is listed as open, you may hunt it. If the species is not listed, you may NOT hunt that species.
    It looks to me like blacktails wandering outside of their regular stomping grounds are safe... for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by akfishfool View Post
    I've seen several in the valley near palmer, and about three years ago there where four of them together near sheep mountain. I have a picture of them, otherwise nobody would ever believe me. They would always try to tell me they must have been caribou, until they saw the picture.
    Can we see this picture? I sure do, just for my viewing pleasure.

We usually see a couple blacktails on Betty Kato Rd. in Seward every year. With all the bears around I doubt they'll have much chance of really establishing a herd of any size. I'ts sure nice to see them though.

Default not digital

I wish I could but it is a old regular film exposure type photo not digital, Maybe I can scan it in then post it!

Years back there were mule deer observed in the Delta Junction area and about five years ago my buddy saw one near Tok.....although they are interesting to see they don't always mix well with moose as the deer could carry a brain worm into the moose population.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Look again...

It looks to me like blacktails wandering outside of their regular stomping grounds are safe... for now.
    Maybe transplanted deer qualify as ferral?

Yip, seen them in Seward a bit, around "Betty Kato" road, but I had a good vantage point. Matter fact one time it was a doe and two fawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    Maybe transplanted deer qualify as ferral?
    First, the term "feral" refers to an animal which, once being domesticated, has returned to the wild. Transplanted deer were never domesticated, and thus would not be classified as feral.

Second, even if transplanted deer were considered feral, they would still be classified as "big game" (see AK hunting regs; page 22- definitions of "game" and "big game") and the aforementioned season and bag limit regulations would still apply. That is, if it's not listed in the GMU that you wish to hunt, you can't harvest it.

Maybe there will be a harvestable herd in the Seward/Anchorage/Valley area sometime in the future, but until the regs change to allow it, any harvest outside of the GMU's where they are currently listed would be considered poaching. I think that eventually somebody will present a proposal to the BOG to expand legal deer hunting areas, but I don't think such a proposal will pass until a lot more deer wander into the area.

Nice try though...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!