Thread: Spanboat jet drive canoe

Default Spanboat jet drive canoe

Here's an interesting old video showing a jet drive canoe in operation:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91139449888245

The company seems to be out of operation now, but I am intrigued by the technology - shallow running, no prop, low center of gravity. Seems like a good solution for river running. However, I am sure there are some trade offs involved. I would be interested in other opinions.

about 1968 / 1969 I ran into 2 of that type of canoe at Paxton lake the one you asked about , the motor was mounted closer to the center an the motor had a wheel on top to grab an turn it 360 deg you kneeled or set on a seat great shallow water unit not to good with weeds
    not suffent power to help on the clean out, so you had to get to shore so you could a clean out , not to fast small motor,
    this was in 1968 / 1969

Quote Originally Posted by bhunts View Post
    Seems like a good solution for river running. However, I am sure there are some trade offs involved.
    Very cool technology.

Traditionally I think that jets aren't on many canoes because the lower end jet unit sucks up so much of your power itself, and they're not great on mileage.

Looks like span might have gotten good mileage (from their ad). But man, for an empty boat it sure had no freeboard. And top speed didn't look so fast. That craft would be pretty useless for real hunting here.

I bet running that 3hp Briggs down low and inside the canoe sounds like an airboat.

Default "happy meal" canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    I bet running that 3hp Briggs down low and inside the canoe sounds like an airboat.
    Good catch. I missed that. There is a reason that their youtube ad had zero actual sound footage (of the motor) in it.

Watching it again I noticed two more things:

900 pound weight capacity? That dog doesn't hunt. Plus I doubt you can put 900 pounds into that little thing safely. Notice about 15 seconds into the video, he hits the very tiniest of swells.... easygoing 1 inch to 2 inch swells. And his tiny freeboard shrunk down to about 4 inches.

Its a cute pool toy and/or a nice prize to find at the bottom of your happy meal, but other than that I see no use for that boat in this state.