Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foraging forum?

Default foraging forum?

Looking for folks who would be interested in starting a "foraging forum" . if your interested please post your support. spring is almost here and the greens,mushrooms, etc.. will be coming with it.Good healthy eating for those willing to gather them and you get the benifit of knowing that they were not sprayed with poisons and who knows what all else.And the satisfaction of knowing you can feed your family in an emergency whatever it may be.
    THANKS
    GRIN

Sounds like a good idea. I would also like to see a food/eating/cooking forum.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I'm game. Would love to hear what others are collecting, maybe arrange some opportunities to share the experience with. My friend whom I used to hunt mushrooms with is no longer with us.

Default yup....

I'd be interested as well, however my internet will be a bit limited.....

reuben..

Why not? Foraging and wild food gathering is also part of the overall outdoor experience.
    Now what ?

Thumbs up

You bet. . . I'm very interested.

Do you all honestly think we need a seperate forum for this? I don't see why such topics can't be discussed in either the hiking or the general discussion forum. New forums can be great, but we don't want to put so many on here that it's a pain to navigate. I could be convinced otherwise, but I just don't see the need at this point. There hasn't been a single discussion of berry/mushroom picking on the other forums yet. Typically we only look at adding new forums when there are frequent enough posts within an existing forum to justify it.

Default Hey Brian

Brian, I've long held my tongue about how the forum has grown, and thought it was totally odd that of all this growth, we never had anything on FOOD (game and fish recipes, preparation) and GATHERING WILD PLANTS.

But that is just me. Personally, I don't see why we can't discuss photography in Gen. Discussion. Or outdoor optics. Or prospecting. Then again, not sure how those forums relate to having sponsorship, and there may be no sponsors for a Gathering/Food/Recipes type of forum.

I think the forum is too big right now. Too cluttered. Not sure how much traffic the prospecting forum gets. But not having a forum on wild game and fish cooking/recipes and/or gathering and identifying wild plants and berries is rather odd.

Just my opinion. Can't guarantee I'd participate; as I said for me the forum is just too overwhelming as it is right now. So I hear ya on that.
    Good luck,

anyone ever set out to climb a mountain in august then just never get to the top because there were blueberries? Mmmm blueberries!

(I'm in)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default gathering wild edibles thread/forum

Doesn't matter where it is, whatever the moderators think best, as long as we have a place to talk about it. Seems to be enough interest for some fine discussions.

Grandma Lori

one more to perk up interest and get your mouth watering....

Grandma

Yes maam! that gets my mouth a waterin, whats for dinner? and what are those greens in the sink?
    While I havent been a member for more than a week ive noticed that some of the forums dont get much use,and some could be combined, but that is not my decision to make. I JUST LOVE ALASKA! and all she has to offer those who choose to live such an independent/self sufficient life style.who was it that said " Improvisation is the mother of invention"?.posting in "general discusion" sure why not i'm game.
    GRIN

Default sedge

The greens in the sink in the first picture are sedge. We pick them in mid summer; right around the time blueberries are ripe. When they are flowering it is easier to identify them from other plants that grow in the same sort of terrain, look similar and are poisonous such as wild Iris and the deadly Calla. The white/pick underground part, the first few inches, is the best for eating. Go too far up the stalk and it gets stingy, fibrous and tough. It is good raw, but I like to add it to stir-fry.

Letís see, dinner that night was fresh caught grayling, lightly floured and fried, chopped sedge, and a few garden veggies stir-fried and served over hot steaming rice. And for dessert, blueberry buckle, my favorite version of coffee cake.
    Grandma Lori

Thumbs up Kick-off time. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    And for dessert, blueberry buckle, my favorite version of coffee cake.i
    Alaska Grandma, how about kicking things off here by posting your recipe for blueberry buckle?

Grandpa John

grizzeyes

Default nice counter

hey grandma, now that is what i call a nice woodsy counter top. nothing like a log cabin. i used to live in one and am trying to find another. even the toilet paper dispenser and towel rack was made of log.

Default Anbody try...

... loveage? We call it wild spinach. (Yupik, cuaisaq). Loveage grows close to the saltwater in sandy soil on reddish/greenish stalks, with small rounded leaves. Pick and cook both together.

Blanche it like spinach and season with butter, salt and pepper. Excellent with fresh poached king salmon straight from the salt. Mmmm. I can hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... loveage? We call it wild spinach. (Yupik, cuaisaq). Loveage grows close to the saltwater in sandy soil on reddish/greenish stalks, with small rounded leaves. Pick and cook both together.

Blanche it like spinach and season with butter, salt and pepper. Excellent with fresh poached king salmon straight from the salt. Mmmm. I can hardly wait!
    Too bad I don't live near the coast. Sounds great, I love spinach!

Smile Photo ID. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post

sayak: Any chance of you posting a photo or steering us to a Web site with a photo? I think I know the plant you're talking about.

Help. . .

Default Lovage (aka loveage)

You can find it at the mouth of the rivers on the peninsula. This file was too large for me to upload.
    http://cast.off.net/images/lovage.jpg

Default wild spinach

I believe Lovage is actually part of the parsley family. Up here in the interior, we have Strawberry Spinach and Lambs Quarter. Both are related to the garden spinach and can be used in the same manner as the cultivated green. Very tasty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast