Thread: Moose rack?

Default Moose rack?

Another poster's thread just put me to wondering about something.
    I'm headed out on August 21st for a flyin moose hunt, I know it's early but it my only option this year. If I get lucky and score on a nice bull I will just be doing a skullcap type antler mount or possibly a euro. My question is what do you do if your bull has begun to peel the velvet off his antlers but hasn't gone very far with it. I know that velvet can be preserved, but I also know it needs to be done fast and am unsure if it can be done after they have partially scraped their antlers.
    If I peel it off will they just be bleach white after the blood is rinsed off. Is there anyway short of a taxidermist to leave the velvet on without it stinking and rotting, I'm sure the Mrs. wouldn't like that in the livingroom.

You can use syringes to inject either formaldehyde or denatured alcohol to preserve velvet. But usually that is when the velvet is healthy. Once it is ready to fall off it might be hard to keep it good. Even when the bull falls it might take a big chunk off. Usually when the velvet is shedding already, it's better to just peal it all off, let it bleach white and then stain it how you want it later when you decide to do the mount.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

i had a rack that was a late august bull in full velvet and i peeled all the velvet off and just left it white. if i had to do it again i woundn't have shot it the tops weren't formed up yet and it was still growing so the tops of the antlers were flat across the top. velvet bulls look ok but i think i'd just wait until they started to shed velvet. as i see its your only option in your post i would say if its started to peel peel the rest off, if its full velvet go with the fermldahyde (sp?) that some taxidermists can do for you. i would imagine a few days wouldn't ruin the velvet too bad. i can tell you mine started stinking pretty horribly in a couple weeks though. best of luck

No thoughts on the velvet stuff, but I'd go for a euro if you can. I got a decent one last fall and didn't feel like dragging the whole head a half mile back to the boat and just capped it. After seeing how easy it is to boil and clean the skull on my blacktail last fall.....I really wish I'd taken the time and effort. Cut as much meat and such off of it while it isn't stinkin.....if some of the stuff dries on on the way home, no worries it will come right off with the borax, soap and hot water.....the bleach will take any stain away.

Maybe this fall if I get so lucky again, I'll bring her all home. Good luck.

Yeah I used to do euros for extra cash in highschool and college. I've done a ton of deer and elk with a handful of pronghorns thrown in, but I'll need to buy a washtub to boil a moose skull! I really like the way they look but I guess I'll worry with it when and if I get one.

Unless you want your skull to look and feel like chalk. DO NOT BOIL.

You can boil, just don't add bleach ! Bleach will break down the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yeah I used to do euros for extra cash in highschool and college. I've done a ton of deer and elk with a handful of pronghorns thrown in, but I'll need to buy a washtub to boil a moose skull! I really like the way they look but I guess I'll worry with it when and if I get one.

I just cut down an old 55 gallon drum and simmered mine, "not boiled" and used a pressure washer to clean it.

Now I just need one more to complete my book end look!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Sitka hunter View Post
    You can boil, just don't add bleach ! Bleach will break down the bone.
    Yes, you loose a lot of detail especially if you boil too long and bleach. Although it can be done with good results if done properly like Steve's above, but the Beetle cleaned ones seem to be the best way to go imo.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If you boil or simmer , add a small amount of "soda ash" to your pot, the flesh just about falls off, you only need to boil it half the time. Then hit it with the pressure washer. I'd love to have beetle's, but I don't want them anywhere near my mounts.......