Thread: Tangle lakes for birds?

Default Tangle lakes for birds?

What do you guys know about the Tangle Lakes area for grouse/ptaramagain?

I just spent four days up there trout fishing, but I didn't see any game birds. However, there's lots of berry areas and the park ranger I spoke to said it should be a good area for them. (It was his first year there so he didn't really know.)

Is that area pretty decent or what? Seems to me that it would be an area for ptarmagain up high. There's a lot of ground to cover.

I cleaned up on ptarmigan there last year- saw a lot of flocks over a couple of days. Got a couple of grouse the year before that while caribou hunting.

If I can do OK on birds it's probably a pretty decent area.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My girlfriend's dad had something similar to say about a trip there from many years back. I think I might take my dog up there in September and just kind of walk around up some hillsides and see what he kicks up.

Were you within in a day's walk from the road or further in? I'm thinking I could either base camp at Tangle Lakes and walk in from the road each day, or I could just park o a pull out and walk in for a day or two or three, but that would require me hunting with everything in my pack. (Sort of like a backpacking/hunting trip + carry food/water for the dog=a heavier than usual pack.)

FL2AK - old town ....PM sent.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yeah I got it, thanks.