Thread: Last details for Caribou hunt??

Default Last details for Caribou hunt??

He folks..
    I received a ton of help last year on this forum to plan our 2012 caribou hunt.. We are now only 2 weeks out from arriving in Alaska, and I have a few general questions. We will be flying out of Happy Valley, and I wanted to confirm that it is worth our time, effort and money to bring fishing gear? Will we be around stream and rivers that contain grayling and dolly Varden? I also heard there could be landlock salmon?? I planned to pack a medium action 7' rod with 8# test, and mepps spinners, rattle traps and such, does this sound correct? As for license, do I need to contact my pilot to determine the exact GMU? I know we will be in 26 and will be hunting out of Happy Valley, when I purchase my license, will I need to know 26A, B or C? Does anyone have a suggestion for game processing in Fairbanks? How about taxidermy? I may consider just leaving my animal and having a mount shipped back?? Not certain yet, wanted to check out price differences.... Where can I purchase jetboil fuel in Fairbanks? Once again, thank you for any help, we are looking forward to this trip. We arrive into Fairbanks on the 10th of August and will fly out on the 12th from Happy Valley for 8 days..

Collapsable Lightweight fishing rod the way to go or even a fly rod, Mosquito flies is what I use. I have hunted up there for years and never got any land locked salmon. Sportsmans wharehouse, Frontier Outfitters will have the Jetboil fuel you need. GMU doesnt matter, except for the number per day that can be taken. I recommend once you down a bou, quarter it up and keep it away from your camp. The Griz population is pretty healthy up there, with you being a non res that means the only way you can shoot is in self defense. Take a head net, the no see ums are terrible that time of year. Plus the mosquitos will eat you alive. I had great luck with the Cabelas bug off shirts up there. If you have a good taxidermist at home use them, some ours are real proud of their work and the good ones are two to three years out. I have had real good luck with Interior Fish Processors for my game meat. Usually real quick. Pretty sure they will ship finished product to you also. If you fly out on the 12th, good chance you will want your pilot to pick you up on the 14th, if thats the case head to the other end of the pipeline in Valdez to Allison Point and Slay the Silver Salmon from the beach. Good luck, Dont shoot the first bou you see. Pretty good chance you will see a bigger one.

If you are driving up make sure to stop and fish the rivers that cross the Haul Road, lots of Grayling,, your fishing license is good state wide, just know the regs for the GMU you are in.

Char and Dollys in the rivers they are in swift water and I wished I had heavier gear, spinners worked best for me.

As mentioned above for fuel plus Beaver Sports, fuel gets bought up fast during hunting season by non resident hunter that cannot fly it in.

email me at stid2677@aol.com and I will share who NOT to use for processing and taxidermy. Forum rules don't allow negative post about business and there are some to avoid for sure.

Make sure you know the regs, as they have changed this year regarding meat recovery.

The Bou will be in velvet, so decide if you want to try to save it or strip it. It will rot, if not properly cared for.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Another source for Jetboil fuel is Fred Meyers. They generally have a ton of it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Might want to contact your air taxi on the transport of compressed fuels. Its been mentioned that air taxis have cracked down on it as rules and regulations forbid it, but ask anyways.

Don't get in a bind at the last minute over stove fuel.

General non res license will cover the GMU but you will still need the applicable tags and know how much your allowed to take; I'm not up to speed on game limits for non res so know what they are for each region of your unit.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Might want to contact your air taxi on the transport of compressed fuels. Its been mentioned that air taxis have cracked down on it as rules and regulations forbid it, but ask anyways..
    Great catch TWB... maybe a non issue jclymer but also maybe a great time to upgrade to that liquid fuel stove you've been thinking about.

It does seem air taxi guys are cracking down on that sort of thing from stories the last couple of years.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Great catch TWB... maybe a non issue jclymer but also maybe a great time to upgrade to that liquid fuel stove you've been thinking about.

It does seem air taxi guys are cracking down on that sort of thing from stories the last couple of years.
    One may find there air taxi doesn't ask about it nor wants to see what type of stove. But again, don't get bit at the last minute!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the information, it has been helpful... I know the bugs are going to be bad, I feel we are prepared as much as possible. As for the jetboil, we di mention to pilot and does not sound like it will be a problem. We do have 2 different backcountry cooking systems, one a jetboil and one a msr liquid, so worse comes to worse, we will at least have one burner. As for regs, I will read over them again, print them and read them again on the flight to fairbanks. I will make sure that I follow everything to a T.

As for velvet, I have never shot an animal in velvet, it was my understanding they would not be in velvet. I will begin watching you tube videos to learn how to properly strip and care for velvet..

This caught my attention;
    "If you fly out on the 12th, good chance you will want your pilot to pick you up on the 14th, if thats the case head to the other end of the pipeline in Valdez to Allison Point and Slay the Silver Salmon from the beach"

We will be flying out of Happy Valley on the 12th, however we planned to be picked up on the 20th. Are you saying that the hunting will be so fantastic and the will all bedone on the 14th? Thank you for the fishing tip, this is where we will head if we come out early.. I wanted to find a spot to catch silvers, so we will check it out...

As always, thank you for all the information and assistance..

The caribou will still be in velvet for sure. Some may be starting to shed it but you will not see many hard antlers yet. In addition to your caribou tag you will also need a harvest ticket for each animal you take and they need to be carried with you when hunting. They are free and can be picked up at most license vendors. If you get done early Valdez would definitely be a good place to catch some silvers but know that it is a long drive from Happy Valley. There are a lot of fishing options and I would definitely bring some fishing gear. Ultralight gear for grayling and med heavy gear for everything from salmon to sea run dollies. Otherwise a lot of sound advice here and Good Luck!
    Greg

the bou will def be in velvet. very few will have begun to rub it off during the timeframe you will be hunting. to remove the velvet, simply peel it off the antler like peeling a banana. it is simple. i recommend you wipe excess blood from the antlers once the velvet has been stripped. if you're in luck the antler tips will be hard and sharp so can be easily (first polished with sand paper, if necessary) stained to a natural brown color instead of being bone white.

be safe and have fun

Can't wait to fly out also! Me and a buddy are using 70 North flying out Sept 9th for a week in the field hopefully the bou will be cooperating with us. We decided to go later because of no bugs and wanting antlered bou instead of velvet and of coarse colder weather to keep meat easier. Just hope it's not too cold with some early weather...... We are hoping maybe the bou will be herding up for migration time to come down the road. Who knows bou are bou....

You'll havbe a great trip with Mike and Bob at 70 North. I'm going to miss being up this year after floating out of the Brooks the last two summers. The caribou will most definitely be in velvet. These were both taken during your timeframe. You can also see the variable weather you'll encounter.

Birdstike I am lookin for a bou just like that one! LOL Make that two of them nice pics that is awesome.... I hear Mike is a great guy he has been very helpful that's for sure can't wait to meet him when we get there. I will post up a story when we get back.

Nice 'Bous!