Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier Launch - How To

Default Whittier Launch - How To

Ok, so I know this has been covered before but I feel compelled to bring it up one more time. Apologies in advance for any attitude that may be dripping out.

1. Get your boat ready BEFORE you put it in the water. Do not put your boat in the water then start loading ice chests and camping gear. This also goes for your trips to the Chinese restaurant to get take away or coffee. When you put your boat in the water, be ready to leave. Granted, you do have a little time before the person parking the vehicle gets back. Use that time to warm up the engine. When you get in the water unprepared, you are holding up others. A little courtesy goes a long way. It's not all about you Precious.

2. Move your boat back towards the end of the of dock as space permits. Do not just leave your boat sitting in the middle of the ramp. By moving towards the back of the dock, you will make room for others to put their boats in the water. It will also make leaving easier for you. This goes for when you return to the dock as well. Move your boat forward to allow others to get in.

3. If you don't know how to work the wench on the front of your trailer, figure it out in your drive way. When you get to the ramp, you should know what you're doing. Develop and communicate a plan to all involved. The person backing down the ramp and the people standing on the dock should all know in advance what they are supposed to be doing.

4. When retrieving your boat, put enough trailer in the water for the boat to get on. Get the boat on the trailer and get out of the way. Do not pull half way up the ramp and park. Get off the ramp and pull over to the side. Then, do what ever you need to do. There other people that would like to get their boats out of the water, not just you.

There are plenty of other things that should or should not be happening at the ramp; however, if everybody could just keep these few things in mind, it will be better for all involved.

Ok, done ranting.

It amazes me at the inefficiency of others at the dock, but I am learning to just be patient. I come from a line of work where efficiency and speed is always at the front of my mind, so I am the same way at the dock. There are times where I launch by myself (never at whittier for obvious reasons), and I can get in and out of the water faster than a lot with 4-5 guys. Yesterday in seward, I pulled my boat, and there was a gentleman putting his boat in the water at the same time. I had 5 fish filleted and I happened to look over at the ramp and that same guy was still trying to get his boat off his trailer, I was shocked, it was at least 15-20 minutes since I had pulled my boat out.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Maybe they should put a sign at the staging area that says "If you aren't proficient in launching and loading your boat please proceed to the Anchorage City dock and practice!"

The 2 most congested boat launches I have ever been to that moved slow due to lack of space and distance to parking area are Whittier and Deshka. There was a day during peak times that Deshka would have a hand at the ramp to help back people in and launch/retrieve. Whittier would be a better place with a ramp/dock hand keeping things moving. I still dont understand why they don't have a golf cart or something to transport people to and from the parking area. At least during peak times. For the price we pay it sure would eliminate some headache.

This seems like the right place to post this. Not look to stir anything up but had quit an experience at the Whittier launch this Sunday.

We pull up in the retrieve lane and wait in line like everyone else. I run and get the truck and am ready to go waiting for the boat in front of us to pull out. They pull out and as I am backing up to go down the ramp another guy in a white truck with a blue camper top cuts me off and begins backing down the ramp?? Now I think to myself...maybe there's a small boat in front of us that I didn't see...so I walk down to the top of the ramp and see nothing but my boat waiting to be retrieved and the guy backing his truck down...I try to get his attention but he ignores me....soon a small aluminum boat comes up the side of the line and it becomes apparent that he intends to cut in front of us. OK. I can deal with that. It's rude, but whatever.

So not only does he make my pregnant wife move our 10,000lb boat back 20ft but he also makes a smartass comment to her...then they proceed to dink around trying to load their boat??

He never even had any courtesy to ask if he could cut in and then to mouth off to my pregnant wife?

You know who you are my bald headed friend with your two buddies in your aluminum boat with the white truck and blue shell. I'm sure you won't read this and I'm very sure you won't feel bad about it because you're a jerk. I hope your motor seizes up.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Maybe they should put a sign at the staging area that says "If you aren't proficient in launching and loading your boat please proceed to the Anchorage City dock and practice!"

The 2 most congested boat launches I have ever been to that moved slow due to lack of space and distance to parking area are Whittier and Deshka. There was a day during peak times that Deshka would have a hand at the ramp to help back people in and launch/retrieve. Whittier would be a better place with a ramp/dock hand keeping things moving. I still dont understand why they don't have a golf cart or something to transport people to and from the parking area. At least during peak times. For the price we pay it sure would eliminate some headache.
    Sure have one of the whitidots helping folks??? they would probably have a time card on then to charge for the service by the minute !! Golf cart ?? i asked where the garbage can was at the parking lot the other day and all i got was a 5 minute talk about "the town don't give us one" but you can go to the harbor yada yada yada, when i asked about fixing the craters in the parking lot (down the far end) Juan says to me "its not my road it belongs to the town" well i don't care your using it and making money off of it fix it !!! Every time i walk to or back from the harbor i'm always finding nails and pieces of steel laying on the ground of the parking lot they can't fill a hole or pick up metal but sure can chase after you to pay for parking or to put one of those stupid barrels on a trailer.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Sure have one of the whitidots helping folks??? they would probably have a time card on then to charge for the service by the minute !! Golf cart ?? i asked where the garbage can was at the parking lot the other day and all i got was a 5 minute talk about "the town don't give us one" but you can go to the harbor yada yada yada, when i asked about fixing the craters in the parking lot (down the far end) Juan says to me "its not my road it belongs to the town" well i don't care your using it and making money off of it fix it !!! Every time i walk to or back from the harbor i'm always finding nails and pieces of steel laying on the ground of the parking lot they can't fill a hole or pick up metal but sure can chase after you to pay for parking or to put one of those stupid barrels on a trailer.
    My apologies for even mentioning a good idea. I forgot we were talking about Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    My apologies for even mentioning a good idea. I forgot we were talking about Whittier
    Maybe some they they will "get it" ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I always think it's funny (well, not really) how when you get to the lot to pay your money to park, they tell you to follow the little white pickup so you'll know where to park. The little pickup flys across the lot and they think that I'm going to keep up while towing a trailer and making sure I don't screw up the trailer or my truck?? I always make sure I take my time

I had a jerk yelling at my wife last year at the ramp because she did not move our boat forward. She told him that with the wind blowing as hard as it was that she could not move the boat forward by herself and that if he would help here she would be happy to move it forward. He just told her to F off and walked away. Shortly after someone else helped her move it forward.

I did see on nice thing a few trips back, I pulled up to the staging lanes and one of the guys who came thru the tunnel with me pulled right around me and out into the middle and proceeded to back down a ramp. The ramp guy walked over and told him he cut in line and made him pull back up and go to the back of the line... which was about 5 boats long now.

I like PWS but the boat launch and park lot are not high on my list of things I enjoy.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I wish the situation you speak of was unique to Whittier however it is not. I was in Seward just the other day and had a guy that refused to move his boat up the dock,(they were retrieving), as space allowed, instead they were tied up at the very last spot on the dock face and cleaning the boat. It was windy and myself and others were fighting it to hold in the wind waiting on space. Finally someone told the guy to move up and he just ignored us all. It was low tide and not much room to negotiate between the boats to get around the guy, so the guy sat there taking up the entire dock because in his mind no one else mattered. And if that wasn't bad enough, his partner finally backs the trailer down, clearly did not have a clue as how to back a trailer. After at least 10 honest tries he finally made it to the water line with the trailer but the truck was jacked in the other lane. So he proceeded to tie up both ramps because he could not get the truck and trailer in the same lane. It was unbelievable. You just can't make this stuff up. I try not to be the ramp nazi, but a little consideration goes along ways. Don't these guys know who they are? Have they no pride?

I think there could be money to be had by installing video cameras at the launch docks and create a video " The Best of the Best Launch/Retrieve IDIOTS" then sell it locally or make it a must watch video for anyone that owns a boat. If they got to see how stupid they look, maybe they would straighten up their acts!!!

Maybe someone should collect boat name, color and AK numbers and make a list for all to see so these idiots will know that there is a price to pay for being A^*holes on the dock.

It is very unfortunate but buying a boat is now like buying a gun. All you need is some money. Everything is not their problem. I hope they either shoot themselves and/or sink their boat. Either way, they are are waste of space and aint worth a dam. I'm really getting fedup with inconsiderate morons who think they are all alone in this world and nobody else matters... sorry but I'm having a bad day and these itiots are not making life anymore pleasant.... Oh by the way, I think Whittier is not a town but a corporation just in it for the money. They don't care about us boaters, just about taking our money. We should all boycott Whittier for a season or two and see if anything changes... it probably would'nt but we will never know until we try... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I had a jerk yelling at my wife last year at the ramp because she did not move our boat forward. She told him that with the wind blowing as hard as it was that she could not move the boat forward by herself and that if he would help here she would be happy to move it forward. He just told her to F off and walked away. Shortly after someone else helped her move it forward.

I did see on nice thing a few trips back, I pulled up to the staging lanes and one of the guys who came thru the tunnel with me pulled right around me and out into the middle and proceeded to back down a ramp. The ramp guy walked over and told him he cut in line and made him pull back up and go to the back of the line... which was about 5 boats long now.

I like PWS but the boat launch and park lot are not high on my list of things I enjoy.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Back in '08, my BIL from L48 and I went for a mid-morning trip in late august after our sheep hunt on a weekend. I told him that it might be a circus, and made a joke about "Wasillabillies". When we got through the tunnel, boats on trailers were backed up to the hotel/RR intersection. I started a line of remaining rigs across on the SW side of the street on the gravel shoulder, waiting for the line to move forward. Someone pulls behind the last rig on the left into a tiny staging area across the street from us that's separated from the rest of the pack in front of him by a main parking lot entrance. I watched him mosey ahead of at least a dozen rigs staged behind me to do this. My BIL looked at me and said "Wasillabilly?" BIL got in our truck to pull it ahead and, as we watched the advance of the line rippling back through the rigs in front of us, I wandered in an apparent daze over to stand in the way of the presumed Wasillabilly and we joined the proper queue. The guy behind me did the same thing.

With apologies to Wasillabillies on this forum - we needed a strawman at the time. The guy must have failed kindergarten...

....Just a little upside. We learn by doing. yes i agree some butt heads out there just have a knack for making a bad situation worse. If it was my wife being yelled out by some jurk, not discounting anyone elses wife here, i would not like to have been in the jerks shoes when she was do with them.

I had a similar issue in seward with the guy who could not back his loaded trailer down the ramp. After multipul attempts and jack knifes and a lot of people standing around with their hands on the hips I very politely offered to help the guy out. I jumped in his truck and put his boat in for him in about 2 minuts time. he was very thankful and ramp was back in business in no time. A little kindness and help goes a long way.

I will admit that back in May was first time in Whittier. Launching was no problem, taking out, well i guess i messed up a little there. Not knowing the system, i parked my boat mid-dock with no boats ahead of me and went to get the truck. when i got back with the truck two boats where ahead of me. i backed the trailer in and moved my boat out away from the dock the others moved there boats back so i could get on the trailer. I thanked them all for their co-operation and all was good.

like i said we learn by doing. Im not to proud to tell them this is my first time.....
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    like i said we learn by doing. Im not to proud to tell them this is my first time.....
    That's a fair point. None of us were born knowing how to launch a boat. If a guy doesn't know but asks for help, all you should do is smile and do what you can to explain and assist. Most folks I come across are only too happy to lend a hand in those cases.

It's the people that don't know and don't care that get my stuff in a knot.

Oh, and another one of my personal favorites is the guy that needs to race into and cut you off at the harbor entrance. Really dude? Calm down. It's fishin' not competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Oh, and another one of my personal favorites is the guy that needs to race into and cut you off at the harbor entrance. Really dude? Calm down. It's fishin' not competition.
    Haha, that seems to happen to me too almost every time. Some guy comes out of nowhere to pass me on the port side right at the sea wall. I say the same thing, really dude??

Well if a guy started yelling at my wife, let's just say i would give them a reason to lock me up...

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

One of my many pet peeves with Whittier is that their "Launch Only" and "Retrieve Only" signs up top often contradict the ones down at the end of the ramp. You come into the "Retrieve Only" end of the ramp, only to find some guy launching up top because that's what "his" lane sign says. Geeez, how hard can it be for the Harbor Dude in his bright yellow vest of authority to check the lane signs to make sure they match....????

Here's how to fix that. Paint one side of the cones red. Paint the other side green. If you see red, you can't go that way. If green, then ok to go that way. Round can the wording that can't be read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast