Thread: G2 vision worth while for Garmin 535 chart ploter ?

Default G2 vision worth while for Garmin 535 chart ploter ?

Hi guy's ,Just got my new boat (to me anyway) in the water and it has a Garmin 535 on it. I've never had a chart ploter before and was wondering if the bluechart was worth it or not. Seems to be directed to the lower 48, but I really don't know. Just wanted to ask before I tried the $250.00 experiment. Still can't believe its in the water after a two month battle getting it here, shipper took full payment and parked the boat in WI and never said a word, then claimed bankruptcy. All was saved by a young man that was the contract driver for the company contacting me even after he was burned for several thousand by the company. My faith in mankind renewed.

I like mine a lot. Watch ebay for the VUS025R chip and sometimes you can find a great deal, I got a new one for $59 over the winter. Some of the features like the mariners view and fish eye view are kind of useless, but the added features that come with the fishing chart made the investment worth it.

Maybe it is just our area but my Garmin plotter shows my boat on the shore more often than not when trollong for Kings on the beach. If it thinks you are on land (I'm not) I wonder what it shows?

I like mine, but I just upgraded from a pretty old system (at least in terms of GPS systems!) The additional depth lines on the fishing chart is pretty spectacular, and I might even try the fish eye view when dropping shrimp pots next season... might be kinda fun to see the contour underneath in 3D, and aim for a ledge that you can actually see!

I will add that I got my chip for $89 or something close to that, after the $200 rebate for buying a GPS and chip together
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Maybe it is just our area but my Garmin plotter shows my boat on the shore more often than not when trollong for Kings on the beach. If it thinks you are on land (I'm not) I wonder what it shows?
    Your accuracy depends on the number and signal strength of the satellites. In this case more is better, one of your screen viewes will show the accuracy.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

thank you guy's I'll look for one on E-bay

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

rarely use my G2 capabilities, just use navigation chart 98% of the time and the other time is jut to let people see the diferent charts kinda like tv
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com