Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly hide condition the end of August?

Default Grizzly hide condition the end of August?

I have a hunt in the interior for the last few days of August, what condition should the grizzly bear hides be in? Will they be suitable for making a rug? Will the moose be out of velvet?

just my opinions on this matter....my wife shot a grizz the first week of september a couple years ago the hair was pretty short but decent looking later in the fall would be better the best hides are right when they come out of the den in the spring. moose the last week of august could go either way. the first week of september/last week of august last year some bulls i saw were in velvet some were not. the ones out of velvet still had white and bloody antlers not the nice brown ones you're probably looking for. last week of august is pretty early imo. i'm sure it could depend on where your at.

Just to help with location, I will be hunting in unit 19.

Hi Rickflint

We might meet then - I go there too from 20th to 30st August

I know, I know - that area is huge (Alaska is huge), but anyway, AFAIK hides are best from July and all through fall. I noted cjustinm saying spring has the best hides. Can't give you an authoritative answer, haven't been there yet, but at least I've been told that they might look at little patchy when they come out of the den. I could imagine bears changing from winter fur to summer fur would look less than elegant - most other animals do when in that that process.

you're right they do get patchy in the spring but not right when they come out. usually it takes a little while for them to start rubbing. the hair is the longest after a long winter and the thickest. i haven't hunted grizz as much as i have black bears but comparing my spring grizz to my wifes fall grizz is night and day the hair on my bears at least twice as long as her bear and much thicker. makes for nicer rugs in my opinion. there is way more experienced bear hunters on here than me that might tell you different. these have been my observations however.

I've taken two in the first week of September. One was okay and one was quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickflint View Post
    Just to help with location, I will be hunting in unit 19.
    What part of 19? We are leaving on sept 7th for 19c

Near Sleetmute

does it really matter at this point? sounds like your already going? just look them over, if you like it shoot it, if not no worries, keep hunting. moose MIGHT be starting to drop velvet by the very very end of aug, usually its first few days of sept.
    you should be able to find some decent hides on bears that time of year though....rest easy you'll be happy.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We got in 8 Interior Grizzlies last year in August.

Most of them had ok fur, one was a little thin but anouther was real nice fur.

all of them we mounted into rugs.

The May bears are usually the ones that are rubbed out bad.

we got a couple in this year that looked like a African lion.

Lots of fur on the neck & head & super thin on the body.

Both are going to be lifesize.

RJ Simington

You're right I am going one way or another, but was trying to continue to prepare myself for what to expect. Depending on color and condition if I do connect I will probably look at a mount instead of a rug. Rugs are just so hard to display with out walking all over them. The mounts seem like a better choice for me. I would like a book end for my black bear.

You're right I am going one way or another, but was trying to continue to prepare myself for what to expect. Depending on color and condition if I do connect I will probably look at a mount instead of a rug. Rugs are just so hard to display with out walking all over them. The mounts seem like a better choice for me. I would like a book end for my black bear.
    Now that is a cool life size mount! Never thought of doing one up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Now that is a cool life size mount! Never thought of doing one up like that.
    you aint kiddin that is a beautiful mount Rockflint...one of the better ones I have seen..

We took a couple the 1st of September a couple years back and one was great while the other was just good. The lesser of the two had a nice even silvertip color on the rear half while the frontend had long golden guardhairs, odd looking hide but I still like it as it sits here in front of me.
    Teddy Roosevelt claimed that the "grisly bear", as he called it, got it's name for the uneven grizzled look of it's coat. I kinda like that idea, I just tell everyone who asks that it's a grizzly not a brownbear .

The moose I'm not sure about, a friend of mine shot one last year on August 21 and he was almost totally velvet free. Another buddy shot one on the 12th of September that still had some velvet on his antlers. So I guess you never know. I'm flying out the 21st of Aug and am hoping to find a velvet free bull, but I'm not counting on it and won't let it stop me from taking a legal bull should I see one.

Very, VERY nice...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Very nice mount Rick! I may just have to do my next blackie that way.

I am glad you guys like the bear mount as much as I do. Wouldn't it be great to have a grizzly bear mounted the same way facing from the other side - lol One on each side of the fireplace?

wow, thats an awsome mount haven't seen one like that. thought maybe you have a black bear for a pet it looked so good.

Near Sleetmute
    A couple of weeks ago - and a bit north of Sleetmute... still a nice hide though.
    bear_west.jpg
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Looks like a nice bear from what I can see! So looking forward to the hunt! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast